[21] Curses Are Made To Be Broken

Start from the beginning

"She's scared. Shh, it's okay, girl. It's okay." She paws at the ground before barking again. "What is it, girl? Show us," Carlos urges and stands up allowing the golden furred dog to turn and race away. She doesn't go far before skidding to a halt and barking, signalling us to follow.

Bright orange catches my attention along with a very familiar blue color. "I'd recognize that hair anywhere," I say and rush forward with the others following behind me. Once we get closer I realize I was right and it was Hadie, but he wasn't alone. He was sleeping on the gravelly ground with Rosa right next to him, her arm stretched backwards across his body, hand clutching tightly to his arm.

"Rosa!" All four of them crouch down beside her and the demigod but I hang back. I know there's nothing I can do and even if I had been here I would have been asleep right there next to them. I hang my head and pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration. "Alright, everyone stay on your toes. Audrey could be anywhere," Jay warns as they all sigh.

Mal stands up along with Jay while Carlos and Evie remain at her side. "We can't just leave them here like this, right?" Evie asks and Carlos nods looking back up at his friends. "Hey, what are you waiting for?" Uma asks me as she lightly hits my chest with the back of her hand.

I give her a confused look and so do the other VKs. "What?"

"Really? You're her boyfriend aren't you? Kiss her." Evie and Carlos stand up as Mal crosses her arms and Jay glares at me. "Not anymore." The sea witch turns to look at Mal with a raised eyebrow. "What do you mean? You guys broke up?"

"Yeah, something like that," Evie says simply and I knew she was trying to let me off easy, but Mal wasn't having any of that. "After he cheated on her with Hadley." Her eyes widen before squinting with confusion. "What?" She turns to look at me and I cross my arms after slipping my hook into my belt loop and letting it hang there.

At this point I can't decide if I want to snap or just accept their hatred and insults. "Harry, that's not like you. In my entire life of knowing you you've never cheated on a girl not even if you were bored with the relationship. You always broke it off before moving on."

"Guess he couldn't have been bothered when it came to Rosabella," Jay says with a scowl and I narrow my eyes at him, digging my fingertips into my arms. "Just tell the truth Harry you never loved her did you?" Mal asks with fury in her eyes which only increases mine. "You guys don't know what you're talking about," Gil tries to defend me and Mal scoffs.

"Are you kidding me? He cheated on my friend! He made her believe that he loved her and toyed with her emotions for a full year! Hell, he was sleeping with Hadley the entire time he was with Rosabella."

"I never fuckin touched her!" I shout as my patience and anger reaches its boiling point. I swear in Gaelic and my accent gets thicker before I take a deep breath to calm myself. "You expect us to believe you?"

"I really don't care. Rosabella did. She's the one that figured it out when you lot couldn't. She confronted me on VK Day." Evie makes a noise as something dawns on her. "That's why she was acting so weird!"

"Yeah, right. Besides, Rosa is sometimes blinded by her emotions. Which is why, of course, she'd want to believe you. You were her first relationship after... Jason."

"Ya really think she'd be that naive. Do you know how distrustin she was of me when we first started seein each other? It was... excessive even by my standards and I'm a pirate."

"Alright, say we believe that," Evie begins ignoring Mal's noise of protest and I look into the blue haired VKs sad expression. "Then why did you lie to her. Why'd you hurt her if you really do care about her."