Chapter 6

I stood at the entrance to the main hall where Lady Dimitrescu was with another maid. She was drinking from Isobel and my jaw tightened at the sight, I don't know where those feelings came from. Anger, hurt, betrayal, sadness, and jealousy! The Mistress' eyes locked with mine and my hands clenched to fists, but in her eyes I saw only amusement and turned around, stomping off. I walked to my room and locked the door, grabbing my dagger and pushing my skirt up. The dagger slid smoothly over my skin and cut my thigh open, tears streamed down my face but not from the pain, but the thought of my Mistress drinking from another maid. It hurt so much, I thought I was a little bit special to her, maybe a tiny bit, but it seems like I'm just a maid for her. I pressed my dagger a little bit deeper into my flesh and hissed from the pain, the blood streamed down my leg and dropped to the floor. A knock sounded against my door and my head shot up, "fuck" I whispered and yelled "Who's there?" "It's me Lilith, Cassandra and Ingrid is next to me" Cassandra said through the closed door. "Please, go away" I cried and sobbed, and hoped they would accept my plead, but no Cassandra was as stubborn as her mother. She pulled at my door and ripped it open, Ingrid and Cassandra came into my room and their eyes widened at the sight of my thighs. My fingers pulled my skirt down and pressed the fabric to my skin, while I sobbed uncontrollably. Cassandra came to me and pulled me into a hug "What happened?" she asked and hold me tight. "Nothing" I sobbed and tried to withdraw from her, but her grip around my body tightened. "What happened" she hissed, now angry. "Your mother happened, I ... I thought I was special to her, just a little bit, but I'm just another maid for her" I cried out, and Cassandra sighed, she brushed my hair out of my face and sat me down onto my bed. "Ingrid could you take care of her, I need to go" she looked at the headmaid and Ingrid nodded "Of course Cassandra." Cassandra hugged me again and flew off in the direction of the main hall. Ingrid smiled at me and left for a moment to get bandages and clean water.

In the meantime, Cassandra reached her mother and slapped her teacup out of her hand. Lady Dimitrescu gasped and yelled at Cassandra, but she interrupted her mother and yelled back, "Isn't it enough that Lilith lost her parents and had withdrawn from us for more than a week? Now you did something to her too! She's crying in her room, slicing her thigh open with that damn dagger you gave her and blames herself for I don't even know what! What happened? What did you do to her?" Cassandra was screaming so loud that her sisters joined them and just observed the whole conversation. Lady Dimitrescu looked at her daughters with wide eyes and whispered "I don't know what you're referring to Cassandra! Lilith came here and I was just taking a drink from, what's her name, Isobel I think!" The sisters looked at each other and sighed in unison. "You screwed up mother!" They said together and turned around to leave. "What? I don't understand this!" The Mistress grumbled and stood up. "You have to discover it yourself mother" Bela said silently and looked with sad eyes at her mother. "Lilith is depressive mother!" Daniela said angry and Cassandra slapped her head, "You dumbass, we promised her to keep that a secret" she hissed at her sister, who apologized quietly. Before their mother could say anything else the three swarmed off in different directions and left their mother alone. Lady Dimitrescu stood there for a couple of minutes, but then decided to walk to my room. She reached my door but before she knocked she noticed that my door was a little bit open and heard Ingrid talk to me. "What happened Lilith? Why did you hurt yourself again?" "Again?" Lady Dimitrescu whispered to herself. I sighed and whispered "She was drinking from Isobel earlier and that hurt me, I mean she was just drinking from me this morning. I thought she was only drinking from me, that I was special to her, but guess I'm not. I know those thoughts are silly, but I had a little hope. I'm just no one to her, just another maid she can use as a blood bag and then this stupid name she calls me, every time she calls me pet I would like to throw something against a wall. Why can't she just kill me and make me one of her wines?" A sob escaped my lips again and Ingrid shushed me, while stroking my cheek. The Mistress saw it and pulled away, she took a deep breath and looked down. She regretted now that she made fun of me and all the other things she did and walked away from my room.

"Sleep a little bit now sweetheart, tomorrow will be better" Ingrid told me and pushed me down onto my bed. "Yeah maybe for you" I huffed, and Ingrid smiled at me, "Don't be so bitter!" I nodded, turned on my side and closed my eyes, slowly drifting into a deep sleep.