Chapter 9.

Recommended song: Lauv- Lonely eyes. 

The floor swirled beneath shivering knees, droplets of water rhythmically patting the wooden panels, their sounds echoing through the silence. Nari folded into herself, her posture that had finally gained confidence crumbling under a pair of judgemental eyes. Within seconds, she ripped through her band-aids, violent red diffusing into the pure white cotton.

"Mommy?" Nari trembled her shoulders a clear indication of her rapid breathing. Tears pricked her lifeless eyes as she fought to subdue the nauseous feeling clawing up her throat.

The woman scooted her seat back, sending a loud screech running through the apartment, causing Nari to flinch, her eyes flying shut and forcing a tear down her cheek. "Nari." She purred as she stalked closer to the girl, a small face carried on a long neck bobbing with each step.

"You're late." She stopped in front of Nari, who had clearly plumped up since she had come to Pyeongyang contrasted by her mother's skeleton-like figure. The woman reached to fix Nari's collar, her lips pursing in disappointment when the moisture from the fabric seeped onto her fingertips. 

"And wet?" She questioned, her hand slipping around the back of Nari's cold neck, long nails painfully stretching delicate skin.

Nari's mouth shivered open, but there was nothing she could say, never in her life gained the ability to lie to her mother.

The woman lowered her head, like a snake looking into the eyes of its prey before the gruesome attack, nails pushing deeper into tender skin. Nari bit down her whimper as her eyes darted down, too petrified to acknowledge the woman who brought her into this world.

"Everyone!" Aunt Hana forced out her normal chirpy voice to cut through the tension but it failed in stopping the tall woman's eyes from wavering as she stared down her daughter, eyes studying plump cheeks and thick thighs. 

"Dinner's ready." Nari heard the ceramic plates being placed on the table, but she couldn't move, trapped under a threatening hand and gaze. Cautiously, Uncle Hyun stepped in, gently prying the woman's stoic figure away from Nari.

When the slender obstruction was finally removed from Nari's gaze her sickly father finally limped into view. He had lost more hair since the last time Nari had seen him, the remaining hair dull and brittle, his bones more prominent than his skin. He limped over to Nari and gave her a gentle hug, "You look healthy." He was relieved and happy as he experimentally poked the excess fat now on her cheek. He disappeared before Nari could voice her concern about his own health, making his way slowly to sit next to his wife.

More stinging tears grew on her water line as Nari watched her father struggle to maneuver into his seat, years and years of heavy labor grinding his bones to nothing but dust and pain.

"Nari, go change." Aunt Hana instructed, waving her to her room as she dished for everyone. Nari absentmindedly nodded, her eyes unfocused and glossy. "No." A strict voice quickly halted any footsteps, "She can eat like that." The woman sneered and waved Nari to her seat with pursed lips.

The atmosphere hardened from heavy to suffocating as the clanking of silverware stalled, apprehensive eyes darting between Nari and the woman. Nari swallowed and clenched her jaw before carefully turning to the table and taking her seat, she didn't like making big movements around her mother. 

The table was overflowing with food, more than usual, but it was expected. Aunt Hana would put in extra effort to spoil the family whenever they visited. It was a selfless attempt to offer a helping hand and the only way she knew how because Nari's mother would rather slowly melt by being strung upside down over a volcano than accept any charity money from them or anyone else.