Pull Yourself Together

"Look at them both, cosying up. D'you think that she's trying to become his favourite?" Alex scoffed, shaking his head, only to be punched on the shoulder by Raven as they observed the duo.

"I've known Charles my whole life, he can spot a suck-up from a mile away. And he's never looked that way when looking at someone." She murmured, hearing Darwin wolf-whistle. Angel grinned at them eagerly, giggling as she observed Charles as he gently cupped Ash's hand within his own, examining it in awe.

"Guys, I think Professor X is in love." She gasped, clapping but stopping when they shushed her.

"What should we call her?" Hank asked.

"I think we should call her Firestar."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Along the way to the Russian general, Charles felt his eyes were glued to Ash. After the night where she revealed her fire powers, she'd remained silent and jumped if anyone accidentally brushed against her. So he was going to attempt to get to the root of the problem.

Are you alright? You've been awfully silent since our encounter.

Get out of my head, Charles.

I won't till you tell me what's wrong. I know that tone better than you think.

I'm sure you do. Now get your bloody mind out before I shut you down myself.

Miss Cyrus-

I don't want to hear it.

Why on earth not?

I can't let that night occur again. If my powers explode here like they could have that night then everyone here would die. Being a Class VI and Alpha level mutant doesn't really get you a free pass into controlling your most powerful branch of your ability.

I admire your protectiveness of those you hold dear. I am truly sorry for any distress I could have caused in the moment.

He felt the tense environment in Ash's head relax, as if she'd calmed down.

I am too.

He looked her way, their eyes meeting as he sent a small, comforting smile. He could tell without looking into her mind that she had experienced trauma beyond anyone's knowledge. He could tell that despite her cold and walled exterior, inside was just someone who wanted to run away from the danger she could cause to those around her. She just wanted a family.

"We got a problem." Moira piped up from the front.

"What?!" Charles vented as they approached a perimeter line.

"I'm sorry, this wasn't on the map." She apologised as they drove up, stopped by Russian soldiers.

"No matter what happens, act normally. Miss Cyrus, can you help me with this one?" They watched as Charles put his index and middle fingers to his head and as Ash's eyes turned green, the door opening and the soldier peering inside to see nothing.

"Vse chisto (all clear)!" He yelled, shutting the door, oblivious to the cries of relief.

"Oh, thank Lord."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They reached outside the building, hiding in some shrubbery as they saw Emma Frost ascending the steps, no Shaw in tow.

"Where is Shaw?" Erik asked impatiently.

"I don't know. Charles?" Ash looked sideways to where Charles was crouched.

"I can't find out from that telepath. If I look into her mind she'll know we're here. I can try this..." He put his fingers to his temple, thirty seconds later coming back into reality. "He's not coming." He sighed, pinching the bridge between his eyebrows.

"Now what, boss?"

"Now, nothing. We came here for Shaw. Mission aborted." He decided firmly, his mouth set in a determined line.

"The hell it is." Erik spat, ready to leave. Ash grabbed his hand, a look and spark of anger crossing Charles' face for a split second as she yanked him back, shaking her head. "She's his right hand woman. That's good enough for me." He resolved.

"The CIA invading the home of a senior Soviet official. Are you crazy?" He gave a sly smile, cocking an eyebrow.

"I'm not CIA." He jumped up, Ash and Charles following hurriedly. When they reached the guards, Ash snapped her fingers, all of the guards entering a trance.

"You will not be able to see us or remember us as we exit this building. You will forget our faces and see nothing if we pass through the door again." They ran in, passing security as if they weren't there and bursting through the door, finding the Soviet official cooing and playing with nothing while Emma Frost sat there, amused, a small yet infuriating smirk on her face as Charles lowered the illusion, the official gawping like a goldfish.

"Sleep." Ash commanded, the man's eyes rolling to the back of his head as he fell back, oblivious to the goings on. Charles tried to read the mind of the seductive woman, but she'd transformed into diamond. "You can stop trying to read my mind, sugar. You won't get anything from me while I'm like this." Ash's eyes turned red, her hair blowing back a little.

"How about I make you tell?" She growled, trying to hold back as the thin, familiar tendril of flame circled her forearm.

"Ooh, scawy. I'm diamond, silly girl, I can survive your little tea lights." Erik held his hand forward, the golden bed frame constricting her throat and stomach, the one of her stomach contracting slowly but painfully, cracks gradually forming.

"Where is Shaw?" He snarled, ignoring the attempts of Charles to stop him. Just as Frost was at breaking point, he let the restraints drop as she turned into her human form.

"She won't become diamond again anytime soon. If she does, give her a light tap."

"I wish I had a chance to do it a second ago. CIA will want to question her personally. Let's get her to Moira." Charles chuckled goofily at the statement, wanting to grab Ash's shirt and-

What was he thinking?!

"Come on, Xavier, pull yourself together." He muttered, running a hand through his hair.

"What was that, Charles?" Ash questioned.

"Nothing, Miss Cyrus."