Four

Elizabeth Ann

Days passed by immediately and I got along well with Alodia. The two of us being transferees make it easier for us to relate well with each other.

"Liz!" Alodia snapped me out of daydream as I gazed outside the window of our classroom.

We finished our lunch early so we were able to return to our classroom to take our much needed nap or do the assignments we have missed out on. Some took their time to review their lessons.

"Oh, Alo." I smiled at her in recognition.

"Something on your mind?" She asked and sat on the chair beside me. We still have 20 minutes before the next subject so most of us change their seats for the meantime.

I shook my head and thought to myself, ako lang ba or sadyang concern lang etong si Aloe.

"It's written on your face. You are doubting my intentions." She mustered a smile. It's more of a disappointed one. My heart instantly went out for her and I suddenly felt guilty.

"Nope. I was just enjoying the air outside the window." I said, pretending not to be bothered by her finding out what I felt and thinking.

"Enjoying the polluted air, you mean." She giggled and stretched her arms as she yawned. "Nakakatamad ang oras. Ang sarap humilata sa kama at matulog na lang!"

"Totoo!" A male voice interrupted us and I raised my eyes and met his.
His lips curved into an automatic smile when he saw me. "Hello, Beth! Hi, Dia! I'm Noel and this is my best dude, Michael. Napansin naming medyo malungkot kayo tuwing lunch time and we decided to join you starting tomorrow. Pwede ba makipagkaibigan kami sa inyo?"

"Hoy! Anong Dia? Who says you can call me that?" Aloe exclaimed and stood up in an attempt to level up with Noel's stare. But for some reason, the latter doesn't seem to be bothered by her reaction to his remarks.

"Sure. Wala naman akong nakikitang masama sa pagiging friends sa kahit sino." I said and his smile grew wider. "Is Michael mute?" I asked and Noel laughed.

"Excuse me?" Michael uttered raising his eyebrow at me. I blushed and gave him a lopsided smile.

"You don't seem to speak often compared to Noel. Even in class. You barely participate." I commented.

"Just because I barely participate doesn't mean I am mute." Michael said in his defense. "I just prefer studying and learning in peace."

"Okayyy." I said singsongingly, not leaving the smile off my face.

I was about to say something more when Sir Jayson Arguelles entered our classroom. All students who were not in their proper places returned to where they were. Including Michael and Noel.

"Alright, first things first, what comes to your mind when you hear the word Human Resource Management?" He began his lecture and students who know and have idea about his topic raised their hands.

"Employee relations." Nadia Samonte said and he nodded.

"What else?" Sir Jayson asked and more students started to participate. "How about you, Miss Elizabeth? What are your thoughts about HRM?"

"Human Resource is the strategic way to efficient and effective management of people in a certain company to attain a specific goal, which is usually, advantageous to them as it pertains to success." I explained when I stood up and he smiled.

"Very well said, Miss Costales. You may take your seat." Sir Jayson ordered and pulled out his marker to formally begin his discussion.

As we listened intently at him, I can feel the hairs on my nape stood up. It's as if someone is keeping an eye on me.

I discretely looked around but all are engrossed with the lesson and, or, jotting down notes. I ran my hand over my nape and caressed it softly in order to tame those tiny hairs casually.

Then, I noticed a movement in my peripheral vision and turned to look at the tree of the school ground adjacent to my seat.

I blinked as I saw the familiar face of someone I just met. It was staring at me and probably muttering something incorrigible under her breath.

I gasped and my eyes began to tear up. I realized that I was choking and had both my hands on my neck.

"Eli!" My seatmate, Fleur Aragon, tapped my shoulder but I was deaf to her voice. "S-sir, si Elizabeth po!"

"Aack!" I struggled to breathe and I knew my face was turning pale. My eyes never left the person who was standing under that big oak tree.

"Liz!" Aloe's panicky voice trailed as she tried to wake me up from what I was experiencing.

"Bethany!" A male voice whispered in my ear and suddenly, I was able to breathe properly. "Respirare tardius."

I uttered one last gasp before I was able to calm down. My eyes were watering and then I noticed Sir Jayson was in front of me, a troubled look written across his face.

"Hey, are you alright?" He asked and I nodded slowly.

"Y-yes, Sir." I stuttered, still recovering from shock and unexpected impact of the spell the woman has put on me.

"Villamontes. Can you take her to the clinic?" Sir Jayson asked and Michael's eyes were on me.

"Sige po, Sir." Michael said and he started to approach me. "Let's go, Liz." He held out his hand and I took it.

A jolt of electricity passed through my arm and our gaze met.

"O-okay." I mumbled and we began walking out of the classroom and into the clinic at the first floor.

What just happened earlier? I thought in shock and amazement.