Nightmares

Y/n startled awake in a cold sweat, sitting up in her bed. Moon, who sat protectively next to her,  looks questioningly down down at her.

"Starlight? What is it-" He softly reaches for her hand, but she pulls away and screams at the sight of him. He stares at her for a moment, before he realizes what happened. His eyes flash blue, and he gently grabs her arms, making her look at him.

"It's alright, y/n. It was just a dream." Her wide e/c eyes look frightened, as he calms her by gently stroking her hair. She sighs, before collapsing into his chest. Moon continues to stroke her hair, before asking,

"What was it about, starlight?" She flinches, hiding her face further into his chest.

"I-It was about everything. The fires, the killer robots that I now live with, everything..." moon lays her down gently back into her bed.

"It was just a nightmare, starlight. Don't worry about it." He says, making her shake her head.

"But it wasn't a dream. That's the worst part." She says, gazing into his blue eyes. He thinks
for a moment, before she reaches up and gently touches his face. He looks down curiously at her, so she says,

"Your eyes. They're blue again." Moon says nothing but places his hand on hers, and says,

"It's time for sleep, little sheep." She blushes lightly at the nickname, allowing moon to rock her back to sleep. After she falls asleep, moon rises from the bed and walks over to the mirror in the corner. He turns his head in curiosity at his eyes. She was right, they're blue.

They haven't been blue in... a long time. Why haven't they? He isn't sure, but all he knows is he's much calmer without them being red. It's less intimidating, he figures, based on y/n's startled reaction every time he pops up unexpectedly. It's Moon's turn to startled when he feels a pair of arms slink around his waist. He quickly gathers himself as he turns back to look at the suspect.

Y/n, her eyes half closed, pulls Moon away from the mirror, pulling him on the bed and laying down herself. Moon sits upright next to her, and she crawls into his lap in a sleepy daze. Moon smiles down at her, brushing her hair behind her ear.

She wraps her arms around his bent leg as he sits criss cross, nuzzling her face into it.

A few hours later, y/n wakes up again to another nightmare. This time, she's in her room, before going to the pizzaplex. Her old room, with her dresser and her familiar walls, and old creaky door to the hallway. Except now, a certain rabbit lady stands over her, knife poised to stab it straight through y/n's stomach. Right before the bunny drives the knife through her, she sits up, once again screaming.

"Shh, calm down, calm down!" Moon consoles her, trying to remind her she's safe.

"Where is she?!" Y/n scoots until her back's against the wall, scanning the room frantically.

"No one is here." Moon says, glancing around.

"S-she was here, Va-Vanny. I saw her. We were in my room... my old room." The memories and stress if the situation makes her break down crying, making Moon shake his head microscopically. He hesitates, before gently tapping her knee to get her attention. She looks up, wiping her tears on her wrists. She immediately goes quiet, when she hears a familiar little tune playing from deep inside Moondrop's chest cavity.

"Wh-what is that song? I know it." She hums up and down with the tune, closing her eyes to better focus.

"Les Toreador. It's been in my system for a long time but the kids don't like it too much, so I don't use it."

"I... I think it's pretty." Y/n nods.

"Really?" Moon stares intensely at her closed eyes.

"No one's ever thought its "pretty" before." Moon notes. Y/n opens her eyes, and smiles at him.