Chapter Twenty-Six: Death of the dragon

3rd person pov

The sound of Smaug hitting the ground echoes throughout the land, all the way to the dwarves and Lilja and Bilbo on the mountain. They jump up in surprise.

"What was that? What happened?" Ori asks

"It fell. I saw it." Bilbo says

They all peer out at the town in the early morning light.

"It's dead. Smaug is dead!" Bilbo says

Thorin, still staring at the Lonely Mountain and not at the town, has a strange expression of happiness cross his face.

"By my beard! I think he's right! Look there! The ravens of Erebor are returning to the mountain!" Gloin says

Several birds can be seen cawing and approaching the Lonely Mountain.

"Aye - Word will spread. Before long every soul in Middle-earth will know - The dragon is dead!" Balin says

As the dwarves laugh in glee, Thorin hurries down from the lookout point and approaches the gates of Erebor.

Fili, Kili, Bofur, and Oin climb up the Lonely Mountain. As they approach the gates, they stop in shock and fear as they see the destruction caused by Smaug as he smashed through the front gate to fly out of the mountain. They look at each other, then run into the halls of Erebor. Bofur calls out, his voice echoing in the silence.

"Hello! Bombur? Bifur? Anybody?" Bofur calls

They clamber through the halls, looking for their kin. As they run down a staircase, Bilbo runs up toward them from another part of the city, calling out.

"WAIT! WAIT!" Bilbo yells

"It's Bilbo! He's alive!" Oin says

"Stop! Stop! Stop!" Bilbo yells

They meet each other in a corridor.

"You need to leave. We all need to leave." Bilbo says

"We only just got here?!" Bofur says

"I have tried talking to him, but he won't listen." Bilbo says

"What do you mean, laddie?" Oin asks

"THORIN. Thorin. Thorin. He's been out there for days. He doesn't sleep. He barely eats. He's not been himself - not at all. It's this - It's this place. I think a sickness lies on it." Bilbo tells them

As Bilbo speaks, Fili looks past him and sees something that causes him to wrinkle his face in consternation.

"Sickness? What kind of sickness?" Kili asks

Fili walks past the group and starts heading further down into Erebor, looking at something. Bilbo and the others run after him, trying to stop him.

"Fili. Fili. Fili!" Bilbo calls

As they continue heading down, a golden light begins to be visible on the walls. They round a corner, and stop short at the sight of Smaug's treasure, heaped so high over the floor of the cavern that the ground is barely visible. As they stare, they see Thorin, dressed in ornate robes and covered in jewelry, stride slowly out of a doorway. Thorin begins speaking softly, apparently to himself. He looks strange, almost possessed, and the dwarves look at him in surprise.