Something About You

Start from the beginning

"Well, I'm not. I have the key to your house, that's why I was able to get in." I gave her a smile as I placed the blender that she threw at me back to where it belongs.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know it was you until you turned around."

I laughed faintly, "It's okay. I'm friendly."

"What do you have over there?" She pointed at the brown paper bag I'm holding.

"I'm glad you asked." I said excitedly. "I got you your favorite bagels. You used to eat them a lot when we were together. You would practically beg me to get you some every morning. But, anyway, here you go. It's really good and who knows? It might cure that amnesia of yours." I joked. Maybe that was a bit too much? Oh boy.

Lizzie nodded before opening the bag slowly. She grabbed herself a plate with a butter knife, cutting a few bagels in half before putting cream cheese on it. She gave me a look before taking a gracious bite. I watched as she ate it, savoring the flavor. I probably shouldn't be staring this much, considering that it looks weird, but I couldn't help it. When a smile formed on her lips, it ignited a spark within me. It reminded me of the first time I made her try it. It's like I'm relieving it all over again.

"So, how is it?" I asked, a little hopeful even though I know she likes it. She had it before when she was in the hospital, but she was on medication half of the time so she really didn't get to enjoy them that much.

Lizzie hummed as a response before taking another bite. My eyes followed the smile on her lips, making my heart glow like never before. I never knew watching someone eat bagels would make me so happy like I could fly. The simple things she does that drives me absolutely insane, but in a good way, is out of this world.

"I'm not a betting person, but I would bet money that you like it."

"This is honestly the best bagel I've ever had in my entire life." Lizzie gushed over bread. "You have to tell me where you bought this."

Feeling nostalgic, I gave her a smile, and said, "Ether's Bagel Shop."

"We should go together one day."

I feel like I could cry at this very moment, "Of course."

Lizzie's like a breath of fresh air. Relief washes over me as I admire her simple, yet heartwarming smile. Every cell in my body feels still, and for a moment, I feel connected to her, and there's no doubt in my mind that she feels the same.

"I'm sorry about last night." She spoke softly. "I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. You were only trying to do something nice for me and I completely explod—"

"Oh, no, you had every right to explode on me the way that you did." I insist. "It was such an asshole move and I can only imagine how stressful it was having to meet people you don't know tell you how much they've missed you. So, I'm sorry. Truly."

I held her hand, and squeezed it softly. She returned the favor, her thumb casually drawing circles on my knuckle. This was it. A spark of hope. A connection. Everything feels okay, like I don't have to be afraid of anything. She made me feel this way.

"I should probably go shower." I chuckled, interrupting our moment.

"Yeah, you go do that. You stink." Lizzie played along, matching my energy.