"Oh my. Lord Esther, what have you said?" Duke Vernet quickly asked him with a smile.

The man looked at me and him, startled.

"No- I have not-"

"Lord Esther, we know that Elest Simion is the man who has been troubling us for the past few weeks. He made several attempts to assassinate the King. Why are you talking of such a vile man when we are talking of the late king's half-brother?" Duke Vernet went on.

The more I listened to him, the more I admired his talent. Duke Esther was confused and furious. At this moment, I knew I had the lead.

"Why are you not answering the question, My Lord?" Nathaniel, who had been quiet this whole time, voiced out loudly.

"Well- I-"

"Perhaps...you know something...treasonous?" Duke Vernet scrutinized him.

Duke Esther banged his fists on the table angrily. "What are you trying to implicate me of, boy!?"

"Why are you so startled, Lord Esther? I was merely implying that you knew some useful information," Fredrick Vernet replied calmly.

"Enough." I stopped them. "Elest Simion was my father's half-brother. He is attempting to seize the throne,"

Everyone was shocked. Lord Esther had a complete deterioration inscribed on his face. He silently fell back to his seat. To me, he is the most suspicious. Since I have no evidence and can't arrest him yet.

"Here is my decree. No one is allowed to enter or exit Anthreal without my permission. There shall be guards near the entrance of the country. Anyone suspicious shall be arrested and interrogated,"

"Your Majesty, I have a suggestion that could be useful," Duke Daven let out.

I nodded, permitting him to voice out his thoughts.

"We should heavily guard the nearby forests since they do not have a proper border,"

"Good. I shall also authorize that. I warn you all to be careful and safe. The council is dismissed." I asserted.

Everyone nodded in agreement. Duke Vernet looked at me with concern.

"Have you thought of an incoming war, your Majesty?" He asked me with dismay.

I gave his words some thoughtful consideration. If this altercation leads to war, then I might have to take steps to protect the kingdom from now on.

"We do not know what will happen in the future but should be prepared for it. No matter what, I am not allowing such a man to expropriate the throne. If I ever face him, he is mine to kill." I said, the sudden urge of anger running through my head.

Duke Vernet nodded. For a moment, there was silence in the room. The thought of war plagued my mind deeply. Would my father be proud if I sacrificed lives for this cause? Whatever I had to do, I had to make sure that a diddoes not occur. This must be a battle between two men only.

In which, one must die.
____________________________________

Catheline's POV:

The royal library was one of my favorite places in this castle. It provides the much-needed silence and peace one wants. But this calmness was killing me today.

I was reading the history of Anthreal when I came across the page that interested me. It was said that this kingdom was famous for tourneys and formal gatherings. The scratches of old writings speak that a year would not pass by without any celebration. But...why is everything so different now?