Chapter Ten

Homecoming weekend has blown over and the halls of Branson High were back to the normality of cliques and social status. Homecoming is where you make your mark if you go to the dance. It's the dance where the popular group of the school determines who is worthy of being with them this year and who belongs with the mathletes, meatheads, stoners, loners ect.

Rebecca stomps through the halls as per usual with the blonde and brunette, who turns out to be named Lindsay and Paige, following in her wake. Only on this faithful Monday morning one new girl follows them frantically.

The new girl is a short girl with big green eyes and reddish brown hair. Her eyebrows are furrowed as she scribbles in a notebook and try's to keep up with Rebecca and her posey. Not to mention it looks like she is actually taking notes. On what? Which shoulder Rebecca flips her hair over?

Nevertheless it looks like just like every year a new recruit has joined the infamous group of shallow self obsessed girls.

Can you tell I don't like them?

Popular mean girls is such a cliche. Why do they even have to exist? I for one would be perfectly happy if they didn't form such cliques and become the shallow people they are today.

I grab my books for today and hurry out of that hallway before I become a victim of their wrath and lose my temper again. As my Uncle Tommy said I can not afford another suspension.

As I pass through the swarmed passageways I see Spencer. He's running his hand through his messy curls when he meets my eyes. Spencer smiles at me and for some reason I freeze up and do a double take. I smile back but by that time it's awkwardly too late and I look like an idiot.

I head over to his locker anyway though. I'm curious as to if we are still meeting after school, he has kind of been MIA ever since Friday night. I tried to text because I wanted to head out Sunday but he didn't answer the 3 texts. I didn't call although I probably should've, I didn't want him to think I needed his guidance absolutely all the time, so I headed to the beach on my own.

"Blondie"

"That's my name" I grin. I want to ease into the surfing topic without looking desperate. That could be a colossal failure of I don't. "I tried to text you yesterday".

Guilt registers on his face almost immediately. "Listen I am so sorry, my mom wasn't the biggest fan of drunk Spencer and grounded me when I could think clearly the next day."

"That's understandable. I happen to have suffered the same brutality of the hangover headache."

"Well we did drink a lot" Spencer sighs.

"I thought we had two three beers? That we split? That's why I couldn't get why I had a hangover" I question him.

"Don't you remember?"

Remember what. I rarely drink; I don't even like the taste all too much. I only do when I need a buzz. What could I have possibly done to make me forget the rest of the night.

"No I don't remember" I trail off. "Want to refresh my memory please?".

Then Spencer tells me this anecdote about how we went to one of the beach bonfires that was nearly abandoned and played Never Have I Ever featuring our favorite guest, Tequila. Apparently we started drinking it hard. Around 2:00am I whipped off my shirt and pants streaking around the beach merely in my undergarments. The story doesn't end there. Spencer and I had started taking the road back to our houses when I decided to climb a tree with the tequila. Let's just say it took some bribing and hard work to get me down that tree. After that around 4:00am we managed to get to my driveway where we finished the bottle together.

I must have gone in through my window again or my parents were too oblivious to even notice me because I woke up with a killer headache lying in my own sheets the next morning.

I feel a little better now that my memory has been filled in, and that I'm not an extreme lightweight. Half of two beers and drunk, is that even possible?

My conversations with Spencer starts to end and I know this is my shot to ask about surfing today. I open my mouth about to let my voice be free and that little bugger beats me to the punch.

"So I am very excited to tell you we are moving on from the swimming phase!"

"Thank God!" I blurt out. "I mean thats great... I was getting bored of swimming anyway".

Spencer grins at me and tells me to meet him at the beach for 4:00. I was so ecstatic to be moving on from the dreadful swimming. I was improving for sure but it was tiring and just plain boring doing the same thing everyday.

My mind raced with the thought of what could be in store for later. Would I be working on technique, style, balance, focus? The possibilities are endless. I am just surprised that I am already on step two of Spencer's three step plan.

The day was filled with normal events. I received a 65 on my algebra test and scored a 98 on my english lit paper. I trudged through lunch and ate in the courtyard with Will. Most exciting part of my day was the many meat sandwich the cafeteria decided to serve today. Overall I could not wait until I could get to the beach this afternoon.

And finally I did.

Spencer wasn't here yet because I was over 20 minutes early so I bought an ice cream and sat down on the pier letting my bare feet hang. After about 10 minutes I became bored and decided to go for a swim. I took off my ugly polka dot cover up and went to dive in but right before I could I heard someone screaming "WAIT! DON'T GO IN YET!". I had turned around to see what the problem was and that ladies and gentlemen was the moment I came face to face with one of the most gorgeous guy I have ever laid my eyes on.

This guy was jogging towards me smiling. I smiled back confused at why he called for me to stop. As my eyes scanned over his body I saw it. My ugly turquoise cover up was scrunched up in his left hand.

He reached me and I got an even better look at his perfect face. He had messy brown hair that flopped when he ran and beautiful emerald green eyes that take your breath away. Not to mention it looked like God himself carved his jawline.

"Thank you" I smile at him as he hands me the treacherous piece of fabric.

"Anytime. By the way I love your choice of clothing." Mystery man says smirking at my coverup.

"Hey don't judge! It was a gift" He raises his eyebrows, "from my grandma!".

"Haha it's cute" And he winks! Actually winks at me! I wanted to faint in his arms right then. "So I'm Josh"

I chuckle at him as he scratches behind his head awkwardly and holds out a hand. I look down at his hand and place mine in his structured coarse one. "Nice to meet you Josh."

"That's all. Not a name, not a number?"

This is when I decide that I have two paths to take here. I could choose the one where I give him my info and wait by my phone like a schoolgirl for him to call or I can choose the one where I play hard to get.

"Well then where would the mystery be?" I smirk at him.

"Touche Goldilocks. May I call you that? Since you won't give me any info for me to call you later than your coming on a date with me." He smiles.

What. What just happened. I gape at him for a minute.

"Throw on those shorts beside you and put on my hoodie" He tosses it to me.

"Excuse me but what?" I say.

"Get dressed Goldilocks, we are going on a date. Now"

~~~~

And that is a new chapter. I want to thank Rachel one of my readers for sending me in the beautiful banner up top. If you would like me to post one of your banners just email me at rylie.moscato@gmail.com. Feel free to vote and comment and subscribe! I really appreciate all my readers. To think last chapter I was at 295 readers and now 440 is amazing! I am so thankful!

- Ry