I pull out my phone and log into our student portal. I nod towards Julie's phone. "What do you have?"

"96."

"98."

Julie groans as she flips through her test, looking at the questions she got wrong.

Julie - 2, Jace - 1

———————————————————————

Wednesday - Two Weeks Ago

I rush into our duel enrollment English class, sliding into the seat next to Julie who already has her phone out.

"Did he put in the grade?" I ask, quickly whipping out my phone to start logging into my portal.

Julie only nods her head, typing in her log in information.

Last week, our English teacher assigned us a five to ten page research paper involving a topic of our choice that encompasses what we've been learning so far. It's a hundred point assignment, and I worked my ass off on that paper to start this class off on the right foot.

"Ready?" Julie asks. All her information is typed in, ready to log in. She seems a little tense, but understandable.

"Ready."

We both log in, bracing ourselves for the grade we'd received.

Julie's eyebrows furrow, and her leg starts to bounce. "My grade dropped."

I look at my total grade, seeing it also dropped but not by much. "So did mine."

"Another 96." Julie sighs, looking disappointed in herself. She looks over towards my phone.

I zoom into my grade for the paper. "Another 98." I let out a sigh of relief. Thank fuck I didn't bomb that paper.

"Total grade in the class?" Julie asks.

"96." I respond, smiling like a goof because I'm proud of myself for besting Julie again.

"95." Julie says through gritted teeth.

Juliana - 2, Jace - 2

———————————————————————

Tuesday - A Week Ago

Julie's leg bounces uncontrollably as we wait for our teacher to finish grading our psychology tests.

Out of all the units we've done so far, biopsychology is definitely the hardest.

I lean a little closer to the anxious girl, lowering my voice, so our teacher doesn't yell at us. "How do you feel?"

Julie shakes her head, running a hand against her face, obviously stressed out. "I don't feel great about it honestly. You?" She looks me up and down, analyzing me, looking for any signs of stress.

"I honestly feel great about it."

My answer causes Julie to groan. I don't mean to make her feel bad. I honestly feel horrible when I score higher than her. In the moment, I'm happy, but guilt settles in my stomach afterwards. Why? I have no idea, but at the end of the day, we both have to keep in mind our end goal.