Chapter 10

(She Used To Be Mine By Jessie Mueller)

Daytona's Pov

"Pretend you are talking about yourself from a different person's point of view. Can you do that for me?" The woman asked in a soft tone and I nodded.

"Most days she doesn't know who she is. She takes more than people give her because she wants to hold onto the one good thing that she had going. She's not anything like she used to be."

The guy, Dylan, my father, wrapped his hands around mine and I felt safe.

Where's mom?

"She's imperfect, but she will always try. She's good, but she lies. She is way too hard on herself, and she is broken but wont ask for help."

"Doctor? Can I ask a question before she continues?" The male standing against the wall asked.

He is beautiful. Curly brown hair, with delicate features. You can tell that he's been through hell and back. As much as I wanted to ask what was wrong with him, I chose against it.

I wanted to reach out and hug him. I wanted to stay in his embrace forever, and I have no idea who he even is.

That fucking frustated me. I had no idea who any of these people were besides my older dad, and my older brother. They fucking aged overnight? It's only been days, if not hours.

How can someone age that quickly? I really don't understand what is happening to me. I want to pull at my hair and scream at myself for not recognizing them. They seem to care about me a lot, and I can't even remember a single one of their names.

"Go for it." The doctor responded.

The male that was leaning against the wall smiled at me and I smiled back. That smile made my stomach do fucking flips.

"How old are you, Jareds?" He asked softly, almost like he didn't want to hurt me.

He was almost walking on eggshells around me, and I hated that. I'm not a fragile person, well I am, but I don't want anyone to walk around watching their backs like at any given moment I will break.

"I'm sixteen." I smiled as I looked around the room.

All of their faces dropped and I felt my heart sink lower. Was I not sixteen?

"Daytona, what's the last thing you remember?" The doctor spoke quietly, after calling in some nurses.

"Um... I had just gotten back from my first champion race." My voice cracked and then everyone in the room broke.

"Bloody hell." The male slid down the wall and sat on the floor.

How can a heart shatter from a person that you do not know? Well it just did. And I feel like I'm drowning.

"You said that she was responsive." The doctor said as she started walking out of the room with a nurse.

"She is!"

"She doesn't remember a damn person in that room. That would've been nice information for you to tell me!"

"I'm sorry ma'am- I thought you would have found that out."

"That's not something that you cannot report to me. You're fired."

"Where's mom?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

My father cried, kissing my hand and closing his eyes. He started telling me about my mother and I couldn't contain my tears. What the hell is happening?