Life 1: Part 1 - Into the Void

Uncertainty

(ŭn-sûr'tn-tē)

n. pl. un·cer·tain·ties

1.

the state of being uncertain; doubt; hesitancy: His uncertainty gave impetus to his inquiry.

2.

an instance of uncertainty, doubt, etc.

3.

unpredictability; indeterminacy; indefiniteness.

Have you ever truly felt uncertainty? How do you describe that feeling? Have you ever been in a situation where nothing is familiar, consistent, forecasted, nor mapped out for you? It is the unknown, the void, the absence of knowledge. It is the lack of the mental picture that is conjured in your brain to prepare you for what is to come or what can be expected. Without that image, you have no damn idea, absolutely none, and that makes you panic a little or a lot. You don’t know what it looks like, what it smells like, what’s going to happen, who will be there, if it’s safe, etc. The uncertainty of a situation makes you aware of that void spot in your brain that is just aching to be filled with knowledge, ideas, skills, and abilities that you could potentially acquire by facing your uncertainty. The palms start to sweat, your heartbeat goes faster, maybe you get a nasty red skin rash, and something inside is telling you that it really isn’t such a good idea.Good idea or not, in the grand scheme of things, what to you have to lose? No one will live your life for you, so you might as well face the uncertainty.

Start. Step. Jump. Breathe.