5. Private Audience with the Queen

Later that day, long after the sun had set Hollyberry was still thinking of Pitaya & Horizon's fight. She could still picture his sand coloured scales bursting into flames, and every time she close her eyes it was one of her friends in flames. What if was? What if her friends were chosen to fight Pitaya? I won't let that happen, she reassured herself. I will protect them, I have to. No, I need to.

Hollyberry looked up at the sky, trying to distract herself. The stars weren't visible from where she was, the sky was nothing more than an empty darkness. It was far from distracting, but it was fascinating in an odd way. The sound of wingbeats and a comforting warmth made Hollyberry turn (as much as she could in chains) to see the source. It was Pitaya, his scales almost glowing red, green and white in the nighttime sky. He dropped a charred dead bird in front of her, before landing on the same podium as her. The warmth was more intense the closer he was, but not in a painful way. 

"I thought you might be hungry." He explained, and when he saw her wary gaze he added, "Don't worry, I'll ssssstay right here."

"Thanks." Hollyberry spoke up, eating the bird almost as quickly as she had eaten the fox earlier.

"Woah, you ssssssure are hungry." Pitaya commented with a sort of crooked grin, probably his attempt at a smile.

"Yeah. I guess I am." Hollyberry said, readjusting her position into a more comfortable one.

"Do you want another one?"

"No."

"Do you want me to go sssssomewhere else?"

"No." Hollyberry replied almost instantly, uncertain why she had said it, "Stay. Talk to me."

"You want to talk to me?" Pitaya asked, genuine confusion on his face.

Hollyberry couldn't help but laugh a bit, "Yeah. It's either you or the bird I just ate."

This time it was Pitaya's turn to laugh. His laugh sounded strange but not forced, the sort of sound that that grows on you over time. Not that she planned to be at the arena any longer than necessary. Then his face returned to an almost disappointed expression.

"Are you okay?" Hollyberry asked almost instinctively. 

She always took it upon herself to make sure her friends were okay, and now she found herself making sure a complete stranger was okay. No, they weren't complete strangers. More like acquaintances. Still, she reckoned Pure Vanilla would've been proud of her. 

Pitaya sighed, "Queen Ssscarlet wassssn't pleassssed with today'ssss fight."

"And you don't find that unfair?" Hollyberry guessed, and the SkyWing nodded.

"Of coursssse I don't." Pitaya replied casually, "It'ssss my resssponsssibility to make sssure the fight isss entertaining"

"Why do you even fight for her anyways? Wouldn't you rather be with your family?" The MudWing asked, genuinely curious .

"Queen Ssscarlet isss my family." The SkyWing responded, "Well, not biologically, but she treatsss me better than my actual mother ever did. Apparently my mother tried to kill me when her majesssty found me. My ssssissster and I barely survived. You sssee, I was born with too much fire. I sssucked it out of my sssissster in the egg and nearly killed her, and now she hasss barely any fire because of me. I guesss you could sssay I wasss born a killer."

Well that's a lot to take in, Hollyberry thought, unsure what to say to what he said.

"You have a sister?" She settled on saying, probably one of the safer questions to ask.