3. An Untimely Encounter

A/N: This chapter is a lot longer than I expected.

Hollyberry may have been exaggerating a little bit when she thought the water was the deepest darkness imaginable, as the river wasn't that deep. It was however dark, but her eyes soon adjusted to her surrounding enough to spot a hole in the stony wall of the river. Without a doubt in her mind she swam at it with great force, pulling herself through with more ease than expected. 

Beyond the hole in the river wall was a lot darker than the other side, and Hollyberry could do nothing more than swim forwards, hoping it was the right way to go. She hit walls and sharp corners many times as she navigated her way through what seemed to be an underwater tunnel. How it formed would've been an interesting story no doubt. Perhaps other dragons lived in the cave before her time. Hollyberry spent longer than she would have liked in the underwater tunnel, struggling to find her way through. She couldn't help but feel a little faint in the darkness. Is this it for me? Am I going to run out of air? No. Don't panic, she mentally reassured herself, Cacao said that if I panic I'll lose air quicker. The only thing I can do is push forwards and hope for the best.

So she did just that, weaving around rocky corners and narrowly avoiding sharp surfaces. Eventually she made it to an opening, eagerly swimming to he surface of the water. Hollyberry gasped for air, enjoying the feeling of fresh air. Wait, fresh air? That must mean I'm close! The MudWing dived back under the water with a newfound determination. She would make it outside and rescue her friends. They were relying on her and she would die ten times over before she would let them down. The bottom of the river host suddenly shallower, the water currents pulling her forwards a little too quickly. What's going on?

The water suddenly spat her out, leaving her cold, sore, and most importantly, alive. Hollyberry looked back the way she came to see what had happened. A waterfall, apparently. But a very small one, she was thankful for that at least. Rising to her talons, Hollyberry gasped at the beautiful view before her. The sky was painted in rich dark blues and a few slight oranges, indicating the beginning of a new day would come soon. She eagerly leapt off of the jagged rock she had fallen onto, spreading her wings and soaring. The winds greeted her as their own, propelling her into the air and dancing with her as she laughed. Then she spied the continet's best creation. Mud. 

Hollyberry dived down to the riverbank, flopping dramatically into the mud. It felt warm and squishy, oozing between her sore scales and relieving her of the pain. She was unaware that pain could be relieved by mud, but it made sense for her tribe. A strange frightened chirping made Hollyberry suddenly jump up. After a few seconds she spotted the source of the strange noise, a scavenger with a large pouch. 

"Hey little dude, what's in the pouch." Hollyberry said gently, slowly approaching the scavenger.

Her voice only seemed to frighten the poor thing, as it dropped the bag of goods and ran in the opposite direction. The MudWing carefully opened the bag to see jewellery of all sorts. 

"Awesome! I wonder if I can keep it?" She thought aloud.

"Certainly not, unless you want to fight me for it." A voice spoke up.

Hollyberry whirled around to find herself face to face with another dragon, a female SkyWing judging by the reddish-orange scales and jewel covered body. She had lots of gold and rubies all over, and the MudWing wondered if it'd really be so bad if the SkyWing let her keep the necklace.

"Who are you?" Hollyberry asked, hoping to discover what she was dealing with. The MudWing was far from the sharpest tool in the shed but judging by the other dragon's amount of gold she had to be an important figure.

"How do you not know?" The SkyWing fired back, "You're supposed to be on my side in case you've forgotten."

On her side? What is that supposed to mea- It suddenly it hit her who the dragon was.