Norris huffed, "I reckon I'll tell her one day. It took me a while to come to terms that Janie wasn't around, even after all these years. To me telling Celia would be coming to terms with it." He looked down, drumming his fingers on the tabletop.

            I reached my hand across the table, placing my hand on his, the man looked at me.

            "Ain't no shame in how in how ya feel." I repeated back to him. "Stop punishing ya'self, ya not the same Norris Mayfair from back then. I only known ya for a spell and I can tell ya changed."

            A softness crossed Norris face, seeing the tension on him melt. I felt him wrap his fingers around my hand, reaching it to his mouth as his lips kissed against my knuckles.

            "I'm happy ya hard-head ain't take no for an answer when ya saw me at the bus stop today." Norris stated, which in his very Norris Mayfair way was a genuine "thank you."

            Norris Mayfair, puzzling, harsh and tough as nails, was actually one of the kindest souls I had ever had the pleasure in coming across.

            "Is that the bus?"

            We were still sitting in Henry's Joint, listening to the pitter-patter of the rain on the old roof, and the croons of Jackie Wilson on the jukebox. Talking about our strange childhoods, and just enjoying each other's company.

            But a sudden flash caught my eye from the window in the heavy rain, the bright tail lights of a city bus as it began to slowly make its way down the dirt road.

            "Shit!" Norris cursed, raising from his chair so fast it fell over. We both rushed to the door, watching as the taillights of that old bus started to look like little red lightning bugs in the fuzziness of the storm.

            "I know yall ain't tryna run out without paying!" Someone called behind us, as we both stood in the door looking pitiful.

            I heard Norris click his teeth, walking back inside the diner.

            Digging in his pocket and placing wrinkled dollar bills on the table, Norris muttered, "That damn bus ain't ever on time."

            "When's the next one? We can just wait, I reckon," I said, practically on his heels as he rushed back out the door. We stood under the awning of the diner. He pulled a cigarette from his pocket, lighting it between his lips.

            "Ain't until morning, about seven. Bus only pass through here a few times a day." The man huffed, blowing out a chain of smoke.

            An exhale escaped my lips, we up the creek without a paddle.

            Almost like he was reading my mind, Norris pointed down the street.

            "There's a general store and small motel down the road. We can get some essentials to last the night to make it to the bus in the morning."

            After grabbing some things from the small general store, some toothbrushes, cotton shirt and shorts to sleep in, we had made our way to the small motel on the corner of Cecily. Every time I reached for my wallet, at the general store and even now at the small, damp-smelling motel, Norris would give me an annoyed look. I reckon he felt some agitation with me invading on his day, a private moment he needed for himself to grieve Janie. Or maybe he was guilty I was stuck here with him.

            I ain't mind, either way. All the lonely nights I spent in Eva it was nice to have some company, even if it wasn't willful.

            We walked up the rickety steps to our room, 207, dripping from the crowns of our heads to the hem of our britches. The wind was picking up with the storm, and I had to clamp my teeth together to stop them from chattering.