I whirl around, facing Wanda who is standing with her arms crossed, her eyebrows raised questioningly.

"If we are indeed captured like you say we are, why would the door be unlocked?" She smirks, like I'm the stupidest person she's ever met.

"Doesn't hurt to check, does it? It'd be quite silly if we sat here like waiting ducks while the door is unlocked, wouldn't it?" I sarcastically sneer back at her and her smile drops.

"You're annoying." She sighs and looks around, looking like this is the most mundane and boring conversation ever.

"Ouch, you really got me there." I turn away from her, feeling a lot more annoyed now than I did a minute ago. I had completely forgotten what Wanda is like when you don't know her. To be honest, I don't prefer this version of her. I miss my Wanda. My Wanda could be snarky, and annoying, but she was never mean. But I have to let that go, for now. There are more pressing matters at hand. For one, getting us out of this place.

"Okay, Wanda, I'm gonna need you to use your scarlet and unlock this door." I patiently explain, turning back to face her.

Wanda tilts her head, a small smirk on her face again and I brace myself for her answer, which I can already tell from her face is not one I'm going to like.

"No." She simply says.

"No?" I echo and her smile widens. This is apparently fun for her. "Wanda, I don't think you realise the danger we're in."
"The only danger I know is you."
"Are you joking?" I let out an impatient, nervous laugh. "Wanda, please. Please just trust me on this one."
"Look." Wanda begins, taking a few steps towards me, her face completely having lost any trace of amusement. She reminds me of herself from years ago, when I accidentally met her on the battlefield in Sokovia. "I don't know who you think you are, and why you think you know me. I don't know you, and I don't trust you. I don't-"
Wanda pauses, a meter or so away from me, now looking slightly uncertain. I can tell her mind is racing.

"I don't know what's happened to me, or why my scarlet is weak. I- I don't know why I... why I can't remember, but-"
"Wanda, Hydra did this to you." I softly interrupt her and her eyes snap back to me. I feel like now is my moment. I have to convince her that I'm at least not trying to hurt her. I take a step forward, tentatively. Wanda doesn't react, but I can tell her body stiffens up slightly as I invade her personal space. I look her straight in the eyes, trying to show her I mean no harm.

"I promise you, I would never hurt you. Not on purpose. Hydra made me do that to you. Deep down you're still there, and you know I'm telling you the truth. I am so, so sorry, Wanda. I love you, and I'd do anything to keep you safe, I don't care if you don't believe me because I know I would. And right now, that's what I'm trying to do."
Wanda frowns slightly, biting her lip, her eyes studying my face, listening intently to my words. When I've stopped talking, her frown deepens slightly.

"You... you love me, love me?" She asks me, her voice small, eyes round.

"Yeah, I do." I exhale with a little laugh, making Wanda look, if possible, even more torn. "Just look in my head. I know you can, and I know you can tell I'm not lying."

Wanda's deep green eyes look like shimmering pools of forest lakes, wherein the murky water itself isn't even certain of what secrets they hold underneath the surface. I know, though, and so I hold her eyes with mine, hoping she can somehow read me like I can read her, that she can see I'm not afraid of drowning, that I've learned how to stay afloat with her. The faint little lines between her eyebrows deepen slightly as she's debating whether or not to trust me, whether or not this is some kind of trap I'm laying out for her.