165. Fading Stars

Start from the beginning

"And they wouldn't pass up the chance to kill you either," Blaise snapped. "You-Know-Who gave orders to kill you on sight. You wouldn't make it through alive." With a sigh, he admitted, "If we're going to try and get in that way, Dioleh's our best bet. They wouldn't pass up that chance and I doubt they would kill her on the spot."

"Or they might," Draco snapped back.

Ignoring him, Dioleh said, "I can try to go in, trigger the shields, and then get myself brought to Snape. They would have to open the gate to get to me so when they're doing that, you four can sneak in. I'll keep Snape occupied long enough for the four of you to find it. I can escape easily enough when I need to."

"How?" Andre asked.

"If I can find a wand somewhere, I'm sure I can hide it somewhere they wouldn't find it," Dioleh replied.

"But where could you find a wand?" Imani countered. Dioleh was the only one of them to not have gained her wand back as Harry had managed to steal back everyone else's from where the snatchers had left them on a couch. Dioleh's wand, however, was missing from the pile, as was Draco's. He had resorted to using his mother's.

"Maybe Mr. Ollivander knows where I could find one?" Dioleh suggested.

"Talk to him and see what he has to say," Blaise said.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Although Dioleh could walk perfectly well on her own now, she had to be helped up and down stairs. Because of this limitation, Draco went with her to go and speak to Mr. Ollivander in his room upstairs. Once they had reached the landing, Draco let go of her waist and gestured to his room. Dioleh approached it before knocking softly. "Come in!" a weak voice called. As Dioleh opened the door, Draco hesitated, but she quickly took his hand in her own and pulled him with her through the door.

"Mr. Ollivander," she said softly, sitting in a chair near where he was sitting up in bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better, thank you," he replied with a warm smile.

After hesitating a moment, Dioleh admitted, "I was actually wondering if I could ask you something."

"Of course, by dear, of course," he replied.

"Do you happen to know where I could get a wand?" she asked. "We're leaving soon, you see, and...I don't doubt that I'll need to defend myself somehow, but I lost mine."

"I remember when you got your wand as though it was yesterday," Mr. Ollivander admitted. "Cedar with dragon heartstring core. Fourteen inches. You could sense their spirits. I thought it was the most peculiar thing at the time but now, knowing what you are, it all makes sense."

"I loved that wand," Dioleh admitted with a sad smile. Ollivander was quiet a long moment before he turned, reaching into a drawer and pulling out a wand. It was average in length but Dioleh could feel the call resonating from the wand.

"I had been planning on gifting this to Mr. Dean Thomas, but I can see that you need it more than he does," Ollivander said. "Hornbeam, with unicorn hair. I believe it would suit you just as well."

"Thank you, Mr. Ollivander," Dioleh said, taking it from his grip. Instantly, the wand warmed in her hand, accepting her as readily as she accepted it. "I really can't thank you enough."

"Oh, please don't," he said feebly. Dioleh frowned. Ollivander's eyes had strayed to Draco who was watching in confusion. "I've been meaning to speak to you, my boy. You see, that night when we tried to escape, I-"

"I know," Draco interrupted gently, coming closer and sitting on the arm of Dioleh's chair. "I know you told him and I know why you did. I don't blame you."

"It was my fault we didn't escape," Ollivander said mournfully.

"No," Draco countered firmly. "Frankly, I think Bellatrix was beginning to suspect. And anyway, we all got out in the end. Believe me, Mr. Ollivander, all is forgiven." They stayed and talked to him a little while longer before getting to their feet and bidding goodbye. Once they were out on the landing again, Draco asked, "Does it work for you?" Dioleh raised the wand, flicking it through the air and producing a stream of stars.

"Yes, I rather think so," she replied, watching with a happy grin as the stars faded away.