127. Sassy Harold

"You will now divide into pairs," Snape ordered. "One partner will attempt to jinx the other without speaking. The other will attempt to repel the jinx with equal silence. Carry on." Harry and Ron quickly paired up as well as Imani and Dioleh, leaving Blaise with Hermione. Dioleh stood facing Imani, thinking clearly in her head the incantation for the jinx she had in mind. Instantly, a flash of light shot from her wand and Imani was flung back.

"Merlin, are you okay?" Dioleh asked, rushing toward her. "I didn't think that would actually work."

"I'm fine," Imani said, sitting up with Dioleh's help.

Once Dioleh and Imani were facing each other again, Dioleh said, "Try jinxing me now. I'll try and shield." Imani concentrated and next moment, a flash of light shot out before bouncing off an invisible shield around Dioleh. Despite their remarkable progress, Snape continued to simply pace around the room. Eventually, however, he came to hover by Harry and Ron who were struggling with the spells.

"Pathetic, Weasley," Snape scorned. "Here, let me show you." At light speed, Snape snapped around to face Harry. Instinctually, Harry cried out the incantation for the shield charm, sending Snape back into the desk. Scowling, Snape retorted, "Do you remember me telling you we were working on nonverbal spells, Potter?"

"Yes," Harry said.

"Yes, sir," Snape corrected.

"There's no need to call me sir, Professor," Harry replied cheekily. Dioleh had to quickly press her lips together to hold back her smile as Imani drew in a surprised gasp.

"Detention Saturday night, my office," Snape snapped. "I do not take cheek from anyone, Potter, not even the chosen one." Once he had moved on, the class continued in silence until the bell rang.

The moment they were out of earshot of Snape, Blaise said, "Didn't know you had that amount of sass in you, Potter." Harry snorted, holding back a laugh as Ron smiled in amusement.

"You really shouldn't have said it," Hermione said scornfully. "What made you?"

"He tried to jinx me, in case you didn't notice!" Harry retorted.

"Oh, lay off, Hermione," Dioleh said. "He just got detention. It's not that bad. Well, now that Umbridge is gone it's not. But anyway, come on guys. Let's leave the golden trio to their chats."

"See you," Harry said.

"Bye," Imani said. Blaise, Dioleh, and Imani broke off, joining up with Andre near the Arithmancy classroom.

"See you guys later," Dioleh said, giving a small wave. Heading down to the hideout, she pulled out Snape's homework and began to work on it. After about an hour, the hatch opened and Blaise, Andre, and Imani dropped down.

"Sup," Andre said, taking a seat by her. "What's that for?"

"Defense Against the Dark Arts," Dioleh explained.

"Oh, I don't have that until tomorrow," Andre admitted. "How bad was it?"

"Oh, it was hilarious," Blaise said with a laugh. "Snape really tried to pull something on Potter but he was not having it."

"What did Harry say?" Andre asked with a grin.

"Well, Snape was trying to get Harry to call him sir so he said 'yes, sir' in like a correcting way or whatever and Harry replied that there was no need to call him sir," Blaise explained gleefully. Andre grinned but some of the humour was lost in the retelling. "But anyway, here's some lunch," Blaise said. "I snagged some from the kitchens."

"Nice," Dioleh said. "Thanks. You guys have a free period next?"

"Yeah," Andre said. Imani and Blaise nodded as well. "I've got potions after this though."

"Same," the rest chorused. They worked in silence for the next hour and a half until their free period was over.

Checking his watch, Andre said, "Potions starts in five minutes. We've got to head that way if we don't want to be late."

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

The potions room was, as usual, filled with fumes from several pre-made potions. Dioleh, Andre, Blaise, and Imani took over a table together and Dioleh purposefully sat with her back to where she had seen Draco take his seat. At the table next to them, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ernie, one of the Hufflepuffs, sat.

"Now then, now then," Slughorn said once everyone had settled. "Scales out everyone and potion kits and don't forget your copies of Advanced Potion-Making. Now then. I've prepared a few potions for you to have a look at, just out of interest, you know. These are the kind of things you ought to be able to make after completing your N.E.W.T.s. You ought to have heard of them, even if you haven't made them yet. Anyone tell me what this one is?" Dioleh leaned up slightly to look in the cauldron and see a clear potion bubbling inside. She raised her hand at the same time as Hermione. Slughorn pointed at her.

"It's Veritaserum, sir," Dioleh said. "It's a colourless, tasteless potion that forces the taker to tell the truth."

"Very good," Slughorn replied with a pleased smile. Pointing to another cauldron, he asked, "Now what about-" Again, Hermione and Dioleh's hands were raised. Slughorn pointed at Hermione.

"It's Polyjuice Potion, sir," Hermione said confidently.

"Excellent, excellent," Slughorn praised. "This one?" Again both Granger girls raised their hands. Slughorn called on Dioleh.

"Amortentia," she identified.

"It is indeed," Slughorn replied. "And I assume you know what it does."

"Yes, sir," Dioleh replied with a smile. "It's the most powerful love potion in the world. It smells different to each person based on what personally attracts them." Dioleh, who had smelled it almost instantly, had recognized the scent of salt, apples, and some scent that she couldn't identify. Ignoring the stab of pain that went through her heart, Dioleh turned her focus back to Slughorn.

"Might I ask your names?" he asked, looking between the two of them.

"Hermione and Dioleh Granger," Hermione explained.

"Granger...Granger," Slughorn thought to himself. "Could you possibly be related to Hector Dagworth-Granger who founded the Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers?"

"No, I don't think so," Hermione replied. "I'm Muggle-born, you see."

"And I'm adopted," Dioleh added. Because she was turned to be able to see all of the cauldrons, she, unfortunately, could see as Draco leaned over to Nott and whispered something. Both began snickering.

"Oho!" Slughorn called, rounding on Harry. "'One of my best friends is Muggle-born and she and her sister are the best in our year!' I assume these are the very friends of whom you spoke, Harry?"

"Yes, sir," Harry admitted. Dioleh's cheeks flushed at the complement as she cast a look over at Harry.

"Well, Ms. Granger, take twenty well-earned points for Gryffindor," Slughorn said. "Twenty for Slytherin as well."

As Slughorn turned back to the rest of the class, Dioleh caught Harry's eye and mouthed 'Thanks.' He gave an awkward thumbs up and Dioleh but her lip to withhold a laugh. From the corner, Draco glared at Harry angrily.

At a nudge from Imani, Dioleh tuned back in as Slughorn said, "Amortentia doesn't create real love, of course. It is impossible to manufacture or imitate love. No, this will simply cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. It is possibly the most dangerous potion in this room, oh yes." He turned to Theodore who was looking extremely sceptical. "When you have lived as long as I have, you will not underestimate the power of obsessive love, or even just love itself."