five ; ALL THAT'S LEFT

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

     THERE IS AN eerie still in the air

THERE IS AN eerie still in the air. The cold nips at her arms, shoulders, and hands. Her teeth chatter against each other, the chilly air enveloping her. Primrose tries to move, but she can't. Something is holding her down. She opens her mouth to scream, but nothing comes out. She tries to move her head again, but she can't. Even with all her might. She feels defeat. She feels scared. She thinks this is what Tracy Simmons, a friend from high school, felt just before a group of boys tortured her. This feeling of helplessness is utterly unpleasant. Primrose thinks she'd rather die than feel this again.

Then, a stabbing pain pierces through her body. She opens her mouth on reflex and this time, her yell comes through. She goes to move her head, and finds that she can do so now. She looks down and the pain comes back. Primrose groans and yells in absolute agony as her hands, suddenly in her control, fly to cup the stomach. In the midst of her pain, she comes to a harrowing realization.

It's my stomach. It's my baby.

Despair is all Primrose feels now. She yells as another stabbing pain shoots through her. She calls out for Sam, but he doesn't come. She calls out for Luv, Glenn, and Andrea, but they don't come either. No one is there with her. It's just Primrose, her baby, and her pain.

Just as another pang of pain hits her, Primrose hears a noise. A low growl. Primrose's hand flies to cup her mouth in an attempt to stifle her screams. Tears dribble from the corners of her eyes, her face full of fear and pain. She whimpers as she looks around for the walker she figures is near her.

She hears the growl again. Only this time, it's much closer than before. Her eyes wander around her surroundings again, but she cannot find the creature.

Another growl. Another stab of pain.

Desperate, Primrose pushes herself up on her elbows and her eyes, still full of tears, look around again. However, it is dark and the only things near her are the campsite's shrubs and grass. She whimpers, both in pain and fear, as she weakly calls out for Sam again. He does not come.