one ; RADIO STATIC

     HINDGUT FERMENTATION

HINDGUT FERMENTATION. RABBITS eat their food, digest it, and excrete it out of their bodies. However, they don't acquire all the nutrients the first time around. So, they eat their black and pebbly cecotropes to stay healthy. So, in short, this is the process in which rabbits eat their own poop.

      Primrose Roy never imagined she'd be desperate enough to want to eat a rabbit.

     Yet, here she is, sitting on a brown log. There is another one in front of her, holding one of the rabbits Daryl Dixon managed to hunt. The rabbit's is snow white and soft, eyes empty and still. Primrose's fingers caress the carcass. Then, she flips it onto its back. Shane left the knife beside her. Primrose swallows down her growing disgust. Her free hand wraps around the knife. She plunges the blade into the rabbit's chest. She slices and slices, letting its blood slip through her fingers, onto the log, and onto her shirt. Slimy, bloody organs fall down her leg and onto the ground. The fur—Primrose uses the knife to shave it off. She shaves, shaves, and shaves until all that is left is a thick coat of pink meat and flesh.

     We have to eat, she reasons with herself. We're hungry.

      In comes the voices. The voices that tell her that this is not like her. That she is not someone that eats wild and rabid animals. That she is not the type of person that would skin an animal. She never was this person. But, her stomach grumbles and her hand falls on top of it. Her baby.

     Her hunger prevails.

     She chops the rabbit into equal pieces. She unfolds the bandana tucked in her overall's pocket and places the meat in there. Tying it up, Primrose stands up and leaves it on the table for someone else to take care of.

     This job (preparing the animals) is one of the few Primrose could do at the moment. She gets too tired doing anything else. Besides, no one else—apart from Daryl and Merle—was willing to get their hands dirty. Primrose had to keep herself busy. Otherwise, she was worried she'd spiral into existentialism. That's something she doesn't like to do.