Chapter 5

Burnpaw snarled.

It was only two days after their ceremony, but not for the first time, she was really starting to dislike her sister.

Dovepaw seemed to master everything her mentor taught her. Fighting, hunting, even cleaning the elders she did perfectly. It was getting infuriating that Dovepaw seemed to get all the attention.

Worse, Dovepaw seemed to have developed a crush on Eaglepaw, just like Burnpaw!

"Burnpaw, wanna go for a few games?" asked Eaglepaw as they were gulping down fresh-kill.

"Good idea, who do you want to bring?" Burnpaw asked, swiping her tongue around her lips for the last remains of her meal.

"I think you, me, Icepaw, Snowpaw and Fluffpaw." he decided.

"But not me?" demanded an angry and confused voice. Burnpaw jumped as Dovepaw padded up and stood glaring at Eaglepaw.

"No!" snapped Eaglepaw.

"But...why?" she exclaimed, shocked and hurt. She was so popular with the Clan, so why did Eaglepaw seemed to prefer Burnpaw's presence over Dovepaw's?

"Leave us alone!" Eaglepaw barged past Dovepaw. She expected Burnpaw to help her, but her sister followed Eaglepaw without even glancing at her.

Without knowing, Dovepaw's paws carried her behind the other apprentices as they played tag in a clearing. Fixing her gaze on Eaglepaw, she let out a small, dreamy sigh.

Suddenly pain flared on the tip of her left ear and she looked up to see Eaglepaw glaring at her through narrowed ice-blue eyes, Snowpaw, Fluffpaw, Icepaw and Burnpaw fanned out behind him.

"What are YOU doing here?" he snarled angrily, his claws scoring marks in the soft soil.

"I came to see you!" cried Dovepaw, stung by his fury and displeasure.

"I'm flattered," he mewed sarcastically, "But from now on, stop mooning over me like a helpless kit! I'm not interested in you!" His mew suddenly sharpened.

He turned and padded into the undergrowth.

"Wait!" called Dovepaw, chasing after him, determined for answers.

"What do you want?" he snapped impatiently.

"Why don't you like me? I'm popular, beautiful and smart!" she meowed.

"At the same time, do you think I like you?" he spat.

"Well then, who do you prefer?" she pressed, if she killed his crush, he'd come to her!

"Burnpaw."

The answer crackled in Dovepaw's mind like lightning, searing into her heart. She staggered, her heart painful, to see him pad towards the other apprentices, not even glancing back once.

Jealousy stabbed her like claws as Eaglepaw twined his tail with Burnpaw, and all the apprentice, except Dovepaw, padded towards camp.