Chapter 4

"It's today!" exclaimed Fluffkit, bouncing up to his foster mother, Silversplotch, and she gave him a lick on the head, nudging him towards his foster littermates and his sisters.

Silversplotch's litter had a light gray she-kit: Dovekit, a dark red she-kit: Burnkit and a white she-kit with a silver tail-tip: Icekit.

"Fluffkit, you have reached you sixth moon and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Fluffpaw. Your mentor will be Cinderheart."

"Eaglekit, you have reached you sixth moon and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Eaglepaw. Your mentor will be Whitewing."

"Snowkit, you have reached you sixth moon and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Snowpaw. Your mentor will be Cloudtail."

"Dovekit, you have reached you sixth moon and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Dovepaw. Your mentor will be Sandstorm."

"Burnkit, you have reached you sixth moon and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Burnpaw. Your mentor will be Squirrelflight."

"Icekit, you have reached you sixth moon and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Icepaw. Your mentor will be Brackenfur."

"Fluffpaw! Eaglepaw! Snowpaw! Dovepaw! Burnpaw! Icepaw!" cheered the Clan as the new apprentices padded as dignified as they could next to their mentors.

Jayfeather's blind eyes shone with pride, though no cat saw it. His voice, for once, was warm instead of his usual cold, sarcastically clipped tone.