A Miracle

ELEVEN YEARS AGO

"Open your eyes," Alma said.

The young brunette slowly opened her eyes and was immediately in awe with the glowing candle that stood in front of her. The light of the candle reflected in her bright green irises as it rippled with firelight magic. To say she was captivated would be an understatement.

"This is where our magic comes from?" Luna asked, her bright green eyes meeting her grandmother's.

Alma simply nodded her head, "This candle holds the miracle given to our family."

"How did we get a miracle?" the young girl asked as Alma pulled her granddaughter onto her lap, the light of the candle growing.

"Long ago, when my three babies had just been born, your abuelo Pedro and I were forced to flee our home. And though many joined us hoping to find a new home, we could not escape the dangers and your abuelo was lost." Alma paused before continuing. Although she was proud that she had led her family here, the pain of losing Pedro would never subside. He was the father of her children, he was her everything and he was her entire world. 

She found a way to contain the pain for her family's sake including the children and once they reached a certain age, she would sit them down and retell the story of their miracles origin.

"But in our darkest moment, we were given a miracle. The candle became a magical flame that could never go out. And it blessed us with a refuge in which to live. A place of wonder."

"An Encanto," the young girl's voice rang out.

Alma smiled at her granddaughter, "An Encanto. The miracle grew, and our house, our casita itself came alive to shelter us. When my children came of age, the miracle blessed each with a magic gift to help us and when their children came of age..."

"They got magic too." Luna piped up.

Abuela chuckled, "That's right. And together, our family's gifts have made our new home a paradise."

As Alma reached her hands out to grab the candle, young Luna jumped out of her grandmother's lap and turned to face her. "Tonight, this candle will give you your gift mi vida. Strengthen our community, strengthen our home. Make your family proud."

"Make my family proud," Luna repeated solemnly. Her twin brother Camilo had received his gift yesterday and now it was his sister's turn to receive hers.

Alma beamed as fireworks erupted outside, the magical house knocking a clock their way, nudging that it was time to go.

"Yes yes Casita. We're going!" Alma laughed.

The house brought Luna her shoes to which she then giggled and helped her grandmother off the bed, holding her hand as the two left the room. "What do you think my gift will be?"

"You are a little mischief Luna Madrigal, whatever gift awaits, will be just as special as you."

Luna was now stood at the end of the courtyard, everyone's eyes on her as she slowly made her way through the room and up the stairs to where her door stood, already burning with magic. Her brother Camilo sent her a reassuring look which eased the brunettes nerves, whilst her sister Dolores and her parents stood smiling.

Alma started speaking as Luna held out her hands and gently placed them on the candle, "Will you use your gift to honour our miracle? Will you serve this community and strengthen our home?"

Luna simply nodded her head before making her way over to the door. She grasped the handle and soon enough it was engulfed with golden hues leaving the young girl in awe. Her door finished glowing and cheers were erupted throughout the household.

"We have a new gift!" Alma smiled.