Chapter 11

And so, today I have officially gotten my bachelors degree in law. I walked across that damn stage, and I could hear Nick and I think Clay cheering for me.

We would celebrate at my apartment afterwards. He met me at my apartment and rushed in, pulling me into a hug. 

“Promise you won't let go?” He asked.

“I promise.”

That was when he left to meet Clay in Florida for the first time. When I was still me. Now we were here, hugging in reunion. I melted into his touch, having missed him. Maybe, just maybe, I could be Leah for a bit.

Clay was watching us nearby.

“Promise you won’t let go?” He asked.

“I can’t promise anything.”

And I let go.

His face fell, until I pulled him down by his shirt collar for a kiss. It lasted for a few seconds and we broke away. 

He looked almost sad. It was sad to see him this way. And yet a part of me was happy. So we all chilled in my bedroom.

“What happened to Enoch?!” Shouted Nick, pain in his voice. 

“Oh. It was just Loki,” I lied.

“He couldn’t… wouldn’t do anything like that. What really happened?”

“It was Loki.” I lied again, keeping a straight face. 

He left, and brought the sewing kit over from the closet, and sewed the cut shut as we talked and I got to know Clay.

“Leah, you're different.” Nick stated.

“How so?”

“You seem off. I don’t want to say it, but almost like your mother.”

It hurt, coming from him. But he wasn't wrong. Its true.

I think he could see it. 

My heart faltered, face twitching into a small smile. 

“I always have been. And my dad, just kinda pushed it down,” 

He frowned, and hugged the bear to his chest, I think as comfort. I came and sat next to him. I took his hand.

“Do you not like it?” I asked, my voice going soft. There was a glint in his eyes, he knew that tone. It was me. From when I was fragile.

“I thought you hated her. I don’t want you to become someone you hate,” He brought up a hand to cup my face.

“You told me to be myself so I’m just not suppressing it anymore,”

“This is you? And you’re sure about that? It just doesn't feel right,” Clay left to go to the kitchen. I was slowly slipping into the old me and I didn’t like it. 

“I’m sure. This is me.”

“But it doesn't feel like it. I-” He sighed. “I’m worried. I shouldn’t have left you, it feels like this came from me leaving and you had to try and save Ava by yourself. I’m the master at saving lives you know,” 

He pulled me closer to him, and new Leah was gone. It was just, real me. The one who longed for Nick’s touch. I pulled him in for a kiss, and he obliged. I smiled into the kiss, leaning my face against his hand. 

“Are you sure?” He pulled away for a minute. I lay my head on his chest and snuggle up beside him.

“I’m not sure anymore. It feels like it stemmed from my overthinking,” I say. I rested a hand on his lower thigh. I was myself again, and he knew it.