Chapter 9

“Here young one let me help you,”

There was an arm tugging on my own and suddenly I was pulled upright and standing, my eyes fluttering open.

There stood a woman before me, dressed in white with blonde hair and a welcoming smile.

A small boy on her shoulders.

I almost didn’t recognize him.

Nico.

I smiled and let him jump off her back and into my arms. He cuddled into my side, having missed me and I missed him too. 

“Nico has told me to give you another chance, that when you died it was on impulse, I told him to pick a date to have you start over from.”

“If I start over will he be there too? Will there be two of me?” 

“He’ll be there, but he will still die, there’s no changing that. And no there won't be two of you.”

Cold air filled my lungs as I realized i’m dead. After all those years, every time I tried to die? Now its finally happened, do I really want to change that?

“Send me back,”

“On January Second it is!”  She clapped her hands before I could ask her to change the date.

I threw the covers off and ran to the kitchen, where I used to keep the spare key before I gave it to Nick. 

Still there, meaning we hadn’t met yet.
I had to wait until the night to see him, I needed the timing to be right. I needed to meet Nick all over again.

He knew nothing about me and yet I knew him. I knew everything about him, and he knows nothing about me now. 

The future isn’t a secret to me anymore, I know what it contains and this time I won’t make mistakes.

I won’t take so long to realize I love Nick, I won’t take so damn long this time to tell him how I feel. This time I won’t mess up.

Second hands ticked by so slowly on the clock. The day felt like years and I just kept thinking about how I wasn’t going to mess up this time.

My jaw dropped as I realized I am technically still with Liam. I looked at my clock, knowing I only had about an hour and a half before needing to be at the bridge. I grabbed my keys and drove to Liam.

“Liam!” I pounded on his door. It opened and before Liam could greet me I started talking.

“Look, Liam I really don’t think this is working anymore and I think its better if we broke up and just didn’t talk anymore, you know? I really think that its better this way between us and this is how it has to be. Kinda like a wrong person right time kinda thing? I’m not sure but yeah.” 

I looked up at his shocked expression. 

“Then let me say goodbye, because I agree.”

I looked at him. “What?”

“It was a right time wrong person thing. And I agree, we should break up, so goodbye.”

“Bye I guess.” 

My watch showed it was half an hour until I needed to be at the bridge and the drive there would give me very little time. 

I ran onto the bridge and took off my shoes in a hurry, getting over the railing carefully, not slipping up. 

“WAIT! PLEASE DON'T!” I looked toward the voice. 

There he was. Running across to get to me, face in panic and his breath heaving but he was there all the same. He was there and he was going to save my life.