Chapter 4

The music was loud and upbeat. It was perfect. The same process repeated over and over again; scream when a good song came on, scream the lyrics, pick up three scraps of paper, sweep some glass, scream when another song came on.

We fell into a rhythm, sometimes my hand would brush against his arm in the midst of all the dancing and neither would say anything.

Eventually we had vacuumed everything and swept the floors, papers neatly stacked away in the corner where they were supposed to be.
And then we were just dancing, dancing away like nothing mattered. My hair flying around, my feet not knowing where to go but just moving with the rhythm. My hands matched whatever the heck my legs and feet were doing but in their own way.

It was perfect. Neither of us had a care in the world, and its like nothing mattered. All we did was dance, scream, twirl, scream some more, and then repeat.

Candy, She's sweet like candy in my veins.

My mind set into instant panic but my body didn't care the song Electric Love was on. My body kept dancing even though my mind was screaming at it to move.

Nick's hands gently grasped my shoulders, pulling me out of my trance.

The music kept playing, and as Nick pulled me out into the center of the living room my heart picked up pace. His arm grasped mine, and all at once we fell into a dance. At the chorus he spun me around twice, then grabbed my hips, lifting me into the air and twirling me in a circle before setting me down again.

The slow instrumental came on, and the moves slowed with it. Both of us stood still, my hands resting on his shoulders and his hands resting on my waist. I inched closer, looking at his green eyes. They're a deeper, darker green than my own, and they're so pretty.

Nick inched closer as well. Both of us lost in the moment, not bothering to break when the music picked up again. I inched closer once more, my gaze drifting down to his lips. The song changed to As The World Caves In, but neither of us moved an inch away from each other.

The tension in the air was thick enough to cut with a knife and serve as a piece of cake. Subconsciously both of us began moving inwards, my eyes still locked onto his eyes, before breaking eye contact, drifting down to his lips again.

Inches away from each other, moving closer slowly with each passing second. My hands had a mine of their own, one hand staying on his shoulder, the other reaching up and threading my fingers into his hair, resting there.

His eyes fluttered shut, and so did mine, our faces less then a few inches apart, my mind buzzing with thoughts I couldn't read, my body screaming at me to hurry and just kiss him.

But then it ended, all at once.

The music stopped, replaced by the sound I knew as a discord call. I opened my eyes and pulled away from him as he went to answer the phone.

He gave me a quick glance as he answered, and I waved my hand towards my bedroom, signalling that's where I'm headed. He nodded and I walked too my room, shutting the door.

My head was spinning, and I walked to my bed, sitting down on the frame as I tried to think about what just happened.

I replayed the scene in my head, we were dancing and screaming and having fun, then Electric Love came on, and we danced some more, but differently. We were dancing together.

Then we just got lost in the moment.

My mind had been screaming at me to stop taking forever and just kiss him, but I wondered what would have happened if I did.

Well, the call would have still happened, but it would have broken us apart. Or would it? Would Nick just let it ring the whole time and not want to ruin the moment? Would he have broken away to answer it?

So I guess it was lucky that the call happened before we kissed, or the situation would have been more awkward then if we had been kissing when it went through.

I rubbed the back of my neck, looking down at the floor. I let out an awkward laugh but there was nothing to laugh about. My mind was still spinning and it was crying about the missed opportunity. I was about to cry as well, but it just wasn't the time.

My eyes drifted to the calendar on my wall, the date was February 26th, Nick's birthday in just a few days. My own birthday is in less than 24 hours.

I walked back into the living room, Nick having got off the phone.

"Hey Leah,"

"Hello Nick,"

I opened the door to my balcony, and Nick followed me out. We looked out towards the forest behind the building, and I turned around, towards the fire escape ladder.

"Leah?"

Nick's voice echoed behind me as I began my climb to the roof. I could hear Nick following me, probably wondering where we were going but I wanted to climb just a bit.

We arrived at the empty roof, and I did nothing other than stand. Nick wandered around a bit but I wanted to just enjoy the sunlight and wind.

This feeling was strange, there was no conversation between Nick and I, as there usually would be. The air would normally be filled with laughter and stupid jokes, and every so often a reason thrown in.

And yet now, the air was silent, and awkward.

If we had kissed, would it still be this way? Would it still be awkward and quiet? Or would it be the way it was when we would normally hang out. Would Nick and I be something more?

Questions that would forever remain unanswered.

That's when my phone alarm rang for class.