Chapter 12.1 - Karuizawa Kei is a good friend

Start from the beginning

Ayanokōji just stared at me without expression, then spoke.

"I don't know,"

I furrowed my brows in response, it was mostly a joke for me to call Sakayanagi a creep earlier, so why does it seem like a reality now?

"So she knows you?"

A nod in response.

"But you don't know her?"

Another nod. "At least, as far as
I could tell, we have a one-sided relationship."

So that means...

""She's a stalker.""

A sigh escaped his lips, I'm glad we have the same thoughts and could somehow share some form of friendship with this.

We soon returned, having some  refreshments in our hands as an excuse to leaving.

"Catch,"

Masumi and Ryōko just about finished playing, though Sakayanagi was still sitting there silently, I felt her gaze bore into my back.

"Oh, thanks! Tennis sure is tiring, huh?"

I handed Ryōko some energy drink, same with Masumi as I stared back at Sakayanagi.

Ayanokōji sat a few metres away from her, chowing down on his anpan.

Is it just me or does he look like he's enjoying himself?

Just in case we bought enough for the five of us. As I was about to start a conversation with Masumi, Ryōko jogged over to where the food was.

"She sure is a ball of energy,"

I commented almost exasperatingly, almost as it can never hurt to have someone energetic in one's group.

"She's always tiring to deal with. I still remember how tired I was when she dragged me over to go shopping..."

Masumi made a shivering gesture, truly terrified of Ryōko.

"I still don't know where she gets all that energy. I'm surprised to even know she's one of your class' top scorers."

Usually, the airhead energetic girl will have failing marks, somehow Ryōko managed to dash away that cliche.

As we continued this small talk, I saw a large group of people passing by, one particularly stood out as she waved repeatedly to get our attention.

I waved back in turn, Masumi just stared at the figure in suspicion.

Said figure left the group and ran inside the field.

"I wish I could join..." Honami muttered.

I didn't particularly share her sentiment, but I knew how tiring it is to lead a large flock of people, including people from other classes.

Doing those things is nothing but asking for trouble.

"You can leave those people behind and play?"

Masumi jokingly recommended.

While she looked to be serious, it was obvious from a glance she was trying hard not to laugh.

"Ehh, I can't do that. Anyway, good luck to you guys!"

She ran back with the same vigor as earlier.

"Say hi to Karuizawa for me."

I could speculate as to why Karuizawa willingly helped Ayanokōji out as he was being isolated from half the class, though, it seemed that she was doing it for a fellow classmate, I knew there was some deeper meaning behind her meddling before I got the time to ask her for help.