Safe

~~~

Trigger Warnings - mention of injuries

~~~

He spent a couple of minutes letting everyone know that Rune was safe and sound before he also drifted off to sleep.

~~~

Sam woke up to what seemed to be a thousand notifications on his phone. Everyone and their great aunt wanted to know what happened to Rune. Wouldn't we all? Sam ignored all the messages and instead turned his attention to the time. Crap. He had slept for almost twelve hours.

Stumbling, Sam quickly stood up and made his way to his room. But he stopped just as quickly when he realized Rune was no longer there. He began to panic, was it a dream? Maybe it was just a hallucination.

"Stop freaking out Sam."

He turned to the familiar figure behind him.

"What ridiculous idea is going through your head right now? That you imagined it all?"

"Nope. That's not it at all." Sam replied. He watched Rune move from the bathroom door frame to the couch. Her dirty clothes had been discarded and clean ones had been put on. Sam realized she had gone through his closet to find some of his older things. (Anything he could currently wear would swallow the small human up.)

"Hope you don't mind?" Rune questioned when she noticed what he was looking at.

"Not at all." Sam smiled. He sat down next to her, and she cuddled up next to him.

"I made breakfast. Want some?"

This shocked Sam, after all, this young girl had been through so much that past week, and yet, here she was, cooking for the one who was supposed to take care of her. But, it really shouldn't have shocked him at all. In addition to being exceedingly stubborn, Sam had found that she healed unusually fast. Her previous injuries should have taken twice as long to heal as they did, even with the healing vials. He also noticed she needed less sleep than he did. She never explained these things, and Sam never asked.

The plate Rune handed him was simple but comforting. Ham, eggs, and a couple orange slices. On Rune's plate was the same thing, just in smaller portions. They ate together in comforting silence, not saying a word, but not needing to either. That is, until Sam's phone began to ring. He had set it to silent that morning after receiving so many messages. Very few things overrode this feature, so he knew it had to be important. He grabbed the buzzing device and looked at the caller Id.

"Can I take this?" Sam asked, not wanting to be rude.

Rune nodded happily.

"Take your time." She smiled, that dangerous glint returning to her eyes.

Sam stood up and walked to his room before answering.

"What do you want, Alex?"

~~~

It was only a couple of minutes later when Sam walked out of the room. Rune watched him with fascination. All of the excitement and optimism had left his face.

"What's wrong?"

"I have to go do something."

Rune wondered what could be so important but also so difficult for Sam to do.

"Want me to come with you?"

Sam looked over at Rune. She was sure he was going to refuse her offer, but to her surprise, he nodded.

"Sure. Go get dressed, I need to leave very soon."

Rune grabbed her clothes. She had woken up early and was unable to get back to sleep, so she spent much of her morning sewing up her clothes. Now, they only had a few small scars, nearly invisible from small, practiced stitching. She threw them on and ran back out to the living room where Sam was waiting for her.

He was wearing something Rune hadn't seen since she first met him. A gas mask covered the lower half of his face and a cloak was thrown over his shoulders. He held a glimmering trident in his right hand and a key in his left. He motioned for Rune to follow him and they began their journey.

Sam led Rune through the city, but unlike last time, he didn't pause to talk to friends. Instead he moved with purpose, causing anyone remotely in his path to step to the side. Rune noticed this and wondered what his job really was. He had never actually told her. This thought resided in Rune's mind for almost the whole walk. But soon, something much more astounding would steal her attention.

Sam had led her quite a ways from L'Manburg. They were now travelling through a forest and Rune was getting ready to ask Sam how much farther they needed to go. She never got the chance, for the trees cleared up, and a city appeared in front of her. She gasped as she took in the vibrant signs, towering buildings, and stunning fountains. Sam noticed her amazement and smiled for the first time since he took the phone call.

"Amazing, isn't it? Just imagine how it looks all lit up at night."

Rune tore her gaze from the city and moved her gaze to Sam.

"What is this place?"
"This is a city of blood and bargaining, of money and murder. This is a city of fraud and exploitation. This is Las Nevadas."

"Las Nevadas." Rune repeated the name to herself quietly.

"I was hired by the owner of the land to construct an empire here. I supplied the blueprints, he supplied the labor and the buildings. But the cheap labor he hired couldn't understand my wiring. So I placed it all myself. So now, when anyone here finds a new way to break something, I have to come fix it."

"You don't like it here?"

Sam shook his head.

"Then why did you agree to help create it?"

Sam sighed.

"At the time, I didn't have a choice. Now, Alex has enough money to do anything he wants. And I don't have the power to stop him."

Rune wanted to ask more questions, but it seemed that Sam was getting tense.

"We need to get going. I don't want you here at night."

"But didn't you say it was pretty at night?"

"It's nothing but a dazzling front."

Sam began to move towards the gilded city and Rune begrudgingly followed. For the second time, she really began to wonder what kind of world she managed to find herself in. 

~~~

1033 Words