Chapter One

I'm sitting on his bed. I've returned home just before traveling with Elphias Doge. I just got the news that mother died mere hours ago, along with the funeral date. I had just packed up my room in the Leaky Cauldron ready to leave for Greece when the bar keep handed me a letter. My head is resting on my hands and the back of my mind is convinced that my Mother will gently knock on my door and come in to comfort me. Maybe give me a few of her book that she'll think I'll like to distract me, or get me to talk about my favorite poetry. I can't bear to live in Godricks Hollow without mother, the only parent I had left after father had been arrested and sent to Azkaban. The only other intellectual person in this tiny village.

There was a gentle knock at the doorframe, my head immediately shoots upward just as my heart leaps into my throat.

"Hey Albus," I quickly wipe my face.

"Aberforth," my younger brother comes into my small room and sits on the bed next to me.

"I didn't hear you arrive, why didn't you come find us?"

"I'm sorry, I just needed a moment, I'll be down in a bit," I don't look at him.

"Ok good, because Ariana misses you," Aberforth starts getting up from the bed.

"Wait, Aberforth, are you doing ok? With, you know..." I ask him.

"I'm just trying to make sure that Ariana is okay," He responds coldly.

I don't say anything, I just open my arms up to him. A peace offering. He ignores it.

"let's go check up on Ariana," I say, slowly lowering my arms.

"Ok," We get up off of the bed and climb down the stairs to find Ariana sitting on the kitchen floor eating dried apple slices. She grins when she sees me, her eyes red and puffy. Dried tears shine on her cheeks.

"Albus!" She scrambles up and hugs me.

"Hi Ari," I hug back.

"When did you get here? I didn't hear you come in?" She asks after releasing me from the hug, her hands still resting on my arms.

"I got here about an hour ago, I just needed some time to process," I smile at her "I'm sorry I didn't come find you earlier,"

"That's ok, you only just..," She falls silent, sadness dripping into her eyes.

"How about we go down to the beach, get out of the house for a bit," Aberforth suggests

"Oh! Yes! That would be so much fun!" Ariana's eyes shine, I can't tell if it's from happiness or if she was about to cry.

"The beach?" I ask Aberforth.

"Oh that's right you've never been! It's a little secluded beach surrounded by cliffs and there's never anyone there! It's really quite beautiful, you're going to love it Al!" Ariana grins at me.

"It's on the Isle of Wight, it's very secluded so we don't have to worry about muggles seeing us apparate," He explains.

"Ok," I nod my head, "sounds like fun, shall we go?" Aberforth nods and takes Arianas hand. He turns on the spot and they disappear with a small pop.

I follow them and I can smell the salty air before I can see it. I open my eyes and Ariana was right. It is beautiful. The sun is streaming straight onto the cliff sides behind me and I blink in the harsh sunset. I look around and Ariana has already stripped her shoes off and was wading in the ocean. Aberforth wasn't far behind her and was pulling his shoes off to join her. Ariana splashes water at him and laughs when he runs into the water to get back at her.

I smile and find a nice rock to sit on. I wonder if Elphias will be seeing beaches like these, or with white sands and clear water in the south of France or Spain. I pull my shoes off and sink my toes into the warm sand. I close my eyes and lean back imagining myself relaxing in the midst of my travels, with Elphias reading me his excerpts of muggle poetry and prose.