Chapter 12

I wake early that morning, my stomach buzzing with excitement. 

The sun was a small sliver of orange in the east, the rich orange light bouncing off low clouds. I listen for movement from Aberforth and Ariana, I head nothing except soft breathing. 

I dress quickly and loop the vial around my neck, tucking it under my shirt. I step softly into the hall, walking slowly as to not creak on the floor boards. In the kitchen I pick up my shoes and open the front door. Once outside I put my shoes on. I realize the my hands are shaking slightly as I lace my shoes. I can't tell if it's from the chilly morning air or the butterflies in my stomach. 

I take some deep breaths to calm my nerves and begin racing down to the Bathilda cottage. Once I get there I look up to Gellert's window. The curtains are open and he waves to me through the glass. I grin up at him.

I am so bless to have a lover that is willing to travel to the south of France to research my younger sisters ailments.

The fact that I'm only doing it so I don't have to take care of her is besides the point.

I look back up at Gellert and realizing that he's changing out of his nightgown. My face heats up, but I don't avert my gaze. He meets my eye and smirks, causing my stomach to somersault and I look away. 

I wait outside until he open the front door and joins me in the street. 

"Did you enjoy the show?" He asks, mischief twinkling in his eye. I open my mouth but can only stammer. He laughs. "You're adorable Al," He wraps a hand around my head, pulling me closer and kissing my temple.

"Lets just get going," I say.  He laughs and wraps his arm around my neck, pressing our sides together. I lean into him and he apparates us away. 

After feeling like our intestines got squeezed out of us, we appear in a sparse wood of dogwood trees with rays of the rising sun streaming through the branches. Moss climbs the base of the trees. Everything is  a warm green in the  early summer morning. 

"Woow," I gaze in wonder at the forest. 

"Beautiful right?" Gellert says, staring at me. I turn my head towards him and nod.

"Have you been here before?" I ask as he starts leading me towards the village. 

"Yeah, for a short while. It was a few years ago, before I was expelled," He explains. "It was for a week long exchange program. There's a small magic school here, and tons of magical history,"

That's when we step out of the wood onto a hill that looks over a tiny village of stone cottages surrounded by fields. There are some pillars of smoke floating up from a few chimneys. 

"Look," Gellert points to the side of the cozy little village where the once was stone houses there is now ruins coated in black. He follows the trail with his finger and it runs out of the village, through several fields, and into the woods before it disappears. 

"thats the path the girl left," I say. "The article said she was the mayors daughter? Do you think she's still alive?"

"I have no idea, but after looking through the remaining village we should follow the trail," I nod and we start walking. 

The land surrounding the entire village is all green meadow dotted with white, yellow, and purple flowers. We walk through the tall brush, hand in hand. I trail my other hand across the tips of the plant life. A perfect yellow daisy catches my eye.

"Gellert wait," I say softly, reaching down to pick the flower. I turn to him, bloom in hand, and tuck it behind his ear. He touches it softly and breathes out a smile.