Chapter 23

"Mr Cavill, Your Royal Highness."
The butler couldn't almost get out of the way fast enough how for how quickly Henry wanted to enter Maddie's living room.
He had hated it that he had to leave her so soon before the coronation and he could be back just in time.
"I am so sorry my darling. How are you?"
Maddie sat surrounded by make up artists and hair dressers but she glanced over to look at him.
Her eyes mirrored the excitement in the room. And she smiled.
Everyone around her seemed to be buzzing while she sat there as the centre of the room. Calm and radiant.
She extended her hand towards him. The only possibility of physical contact with all those people around her.
Henry kissed her hand gently before sitting down next to her chair.
"Surprisingly enough, fine. I slept rather good. But I have missed you." She tried to face him smiling, but the hairdressers slightly pushed her head back not to mess up her hair.
"I have missed you too my love. Actually I have extended my stay. They gave me a leave of five days instead of three, so at least I can be here today and during the next days."
"Really? That's brilliant. I hope we get to enjoy that time. There is a lot going on at the moment and a lot of outings scheduled. Phil said that everybody will want to see their new Queen, especially after the coronation today."
"I know. But you will be here in the morning and the evening. And during the nights." His last words were whispers.
"Is that so?"
"It is... I may not be able to help you with your duties but what I can and will do is to support you in every way I can. I want you to have a safe haven here to come back to and relax."
"I do. But not only here. My safe haven is where ever you are."
"I love you Madeleine. With all my heart."
"And I love you. To the moon and back." Maddie blew him a kiss with her free hand.
A knock on the door got them back into the business of the room.
Phil rushed in checking on Maddie's hair and make up.
"How are we getting on? The carriage is leaving in thirty minutes. Henry why are you still here? You are supposed to be on you way to the castle already."
"Right, I am sorry. I wanted to steal one last glance of my princess." Henry tried his best puppy eyes but Phil just ignored them with his professional stern look.
"Alright off you go. Your car is waiting on the west-entrance. It will be impossible to sneak you out of here today without being seen but the rumours will go wild anyway when they see you as an official guest at the ceremony. Max is waiting outside. He will take you to your car."
"Thank you, Phil." Henry stood up straightening his suit. "Goodbye my darling, I will see you later." He stepped closer to Maddie's chair waiting for a small gap the hairdressers left to plant a kiss on Maddie's cheek.
Phil turned towards Maddie. "Do you want me to revise the plan for today, M'am?"
"Yes, please." Maddie closed her eyes trying to follow and remember every detail Phil stated.
"The carriage will take you straight up to the Castle via Canongate, High Street, Lawnmarket and Castlehill so you can enter St. Margaret's chapel, where you will have five last minutes alone before your coronation. It was published, as you wished, that this is time for you to take one last breath and deep thought before you take on this big responsibility. A knock on the door will let you know that the time is over. You will exit the church walking over to the National War Memorial to pay your respects as you wished. From the moment you exit the chapel the cameras will be on you for the rest of the proceedings just to remind you. The crown jewels will be waiting in the court in front of the Memorial to be carried by the Duke of Hamilton in front of you on your way to the forecourt of the castle. The Stone of Scone is already placed in front of the bridge. You will walk there followed by the members of your court and parliament."
"You will be close all the time to remind me should I forget any of the steps, right?"
"Of course, M'am."
"Thank you, Phil. Truly." Maddie reached out for his hand to give it tight squeeze. "I don't know where I would be without you." Phil looked down but gave Maddie's hand a squeeze back.
"Your Royal Highness, it is time for the dress."
"Yes, ah... yes of course." Maddie let go of Phil's hand taking one last breath before getting up.
Her hair was dressed in big, loosened curls with some braids to keep strands from falling into her face. The coronation dress' bodice was made out of white silk with a Sabrina neckline, 3/4 sleeves and flowing tulle skirt with a small court train.
Maddie had a lot of input for the dress and worked closely with the designer. She wanted a simple and pure dress reflecting the new start of this new independent Scotland. The finishing touch was given by Maddie's personal tartan. Connecting with tradition she wore it as a sash above her dress. The deep blue fabric would be the only thing of her outfit today to remain unchanged.