Chapter 7

"Today Clarence House announced that the wedding of Prince Harry will not take place

"Today Clarence House announced that the wedding of Prince Harry will not take place. This announcement follows two months of speculations regarding the state of the Prince's engagement. Since you have been leaning towards this ever since the investiture of Princess Madeleine has been announced it is safe to say that you are probably not surprised, isn't it?"
"Yes it is. Nevertheless I am sad to have been right about this one. Harry and Maddie always seemed to make such a fine couple. And Maddie seemed so at ease being by his side and supporting him even though we all know she had a tough start. She was forced to stop working after their relationship had become public since she was followed and harassed by reporters even at the hospital she was working in at the time. And the effect she had on Harry is also something that can't be missed. With her he finally transitioned into the grown man he is today.
"The palace said also that it was a mutual decision between the couple and that they will not be releasing any further statements. What is your theory about that?"
"Well that's what they have to say, right? Whatever is going on inside the family they must present a unified front to the outside world. But I strongly believe this was not a mutual decision. As I said some weeks ago the whole procedure was just too odd."
"No one has ever been given the title of Princess in their own right without being of royal blood. Why do you think The Queen made this incredible exception?"
"For one I think it was a very smart move to avoid any messiness coming from Harry or Maddie themselves but also from the media. Even though I wouldn't expect anyone of these two to wash dirty laundry in public the press might have been slightly less gentle. But secondly I think that The Queen sees the value Maddie has as part of the family. I mean we are all very fond of her and the way she interacts with people resembles the late Princess of Wales in a great deal. That is not something you can learn it is something you are born with. So I think it was equally both, the decision as the head of the firm if you will but also a decision as the head of the family."

"So Maddie my dear I hear you have been already out riding this morning?"
"Yes I have. Riding through the Highlands with the fog slowly rising in the first rays of the morning sun is simply the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and done. Everything is simply peaceful and... calm."
"I agree. I wish I would still be able to do that but the morning fog doesn't really agree with my hip these days."
Maddie chuckled a little but tried to politely hide it behind her napkin.
Being here for the summer had given her so much. Clarity, safety and most importantly comfort.
She had spent most of her days riding and hiking and of course accompanying The Queen on her daily walk of the castle's grounds with her Corgies.
"Thank you again for inviting me to stay with you during the summer. Being here has really helped me to get things a little straight for myself I guess. It has helped me to breathe again."
"Well as my great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria used to say "Balmoral makes one forget the world and it's sad turmoils.". I am glad you feel that way, my dear. It has, undoubtedly, been a hard time for you."
The Queen reached out to squeeze Maddie's hand tightly.
"Have you given some thoughts to our plan as to where you could set up your household?"
"Yes, I believe it is best for me to be out of London. The last thing I want is to get in any bodies way."
"I don't think you would, but I fully understand. But you must know that it might not be easy setting you up in Scotland permanently. Most of the Scottish don't take to us like the English do. I guess one can not blame them after everything that has happened in history. So you may not get the same warm welcome you did when you visited Edinburgh last year."
"I know but I still think it is the best way to go about this. If it doesn't work out at all I could still come back to London but something tells me that this is the right thing to do."
"Well than there is no more that needs to be said. I will leave my private secretary with the details. Will you join me for the daily walk of the grounds?"
"It would be my genuine pleasure, M'am".
The two women smiled at each other. A smile they had shared often during the last couple weeks. A smile that had made Maddie finally comfortable in her own skin again. A smile that had given her hope for whatever the future might hold for her.