Chapter 5: Kenny's Plan

Kenny Ackerman was a tricky man. While he owned a small lot of property, he wasn't always on it. Levi had given (Y/N) the name of a bar, one where he went frequently. Happy Hour. The bright neon sign with the bar's name flickered, and (Y/N) eyed the building. It was a small hole in the wall, with most of the patrons lingering around outside. The air hung heavy with a thick blanket of tobacco smoke and (Y/N) shoved past big burly men clutching cups of beer.

"Watch it," one growled as (Y/N) knocked into his arm, sending a slosh of his drink onto the ground. She glared right back at him.

"Don't show any sign of weakness," Levi had warned. "The patrons of Happy Hour are not the nicest people around and are looking for the smallest reason to fight. If they figure out you're weak, they'll eat you alive."

"You watch it," (Y/N) retorted, broadening her shoulders so it didn't seem as if she were slouching. The man grumbled and walked off. She entered the small bar, wincing at the pungent smell of sweat and beer.

The inside of the bar was as rickety as the outside. Sticky, broken stools were thrown haphazardly everywhere, and the counter where the bartender stood looked like it would receive a health violation of its own.

"Kenny is a tall man with a domineering personality. You'll be able to tell it's him. But if you need more description for identification, he usually wears a hat of some sort and almost always has a cigarette. Be careful around him too," Levi's words echoed in her brain.

"Isn't he your uncle?" (Y/N) had asked. "Shouldn't it be easier talking to him? Why don't you come with me?"

After a beat of silence, Levi had responded, "Sometimes, kinship isn't enough. Me and Kenny have a really rocky relationship. People in the undercity get desperate. I would advise you to never trust anyone. Not even me."

That had given (Y/N) an existential crisis. Not trust Levi? That was impossible. That man was like an older brother, substituting for the father that she had forgotten. Perhaps he and Kenny had gotten into some sort of dispute, but she didn't press any questions. Levi had already seemed extremely unsure about sending her to Happy Hour alone, she didn't want him to stop her from going at all.

(Y/N) took a seat at one of the stools near the bar, glancing at the bartender who was leering at her. "A beer. Make it quick."

The bartender snorted but filled a glass stein with the liquid and shoved it in her direction. (Y/N) threw a couple coins, grabbing the glass and taking a long swig. It took everything within her not to gag. The drink was disgusting. It tasted like smelly socks and rotten eggs, how did these people guzzle glass after glass?

"Looking for someone?" The bartender's voice was raspy. He wiped the counter with a dirty rag. Perhaps it was quite obvious that (Y/N) didn't belong.

"Kenny. Kenny Ackerman. You know the man?" (Y/N) asked, leaning forward.

"Whatcha want from Kenny?"

"We have unsettled business. He's my uncle," (Y/N) leveled her gaze with the bartender. Playing the Ackerman card was her favorite thing to do. The Ackermans were a clan that lived in the undercity for years. Each and every single member of the clan was extremely powerful. There was Levi, completely undefeated when it came to physical combat. There was Mikasa, his cousin, who was equally as fierce and competitive. Technically, (Y/N) was an adopted member of the Ackerman clan, and that made Kenny her sort-of uncle.

The bartender straightened and pointed to a shady area near the back of the bar. There was a table where four men sat, a deck of cards in their hands. One of the men wore a fedora, a lit cigarette between his fingers. His legs were spread as he leaned in, elbows on his knees.