Chapter Fifteen: Emily Might Actually Be a Demon

Start from the beginning

 At cheer practice, Amy explained to me why it was such a big deal but I wasn't really listening. I don't think I can hate a University simply because my University tells me I do, I also don't care that much about sports. I only go because of cheerleading and let's get real, the cute outfits...and the hot men.

The part I was truly looking forward to was the tailgate after-party. It was an annual thing after every Westshore vs Laurier Game. Nothing like drinking beer in a parking lot to bring two arch enemies together.

Abby and I get changed in her room and I do my makeup with school colours. After watching Euphoria last night Abby and I got quite inspired with our makeup. We had jewels above our eyes and sparkly eyeshadow on, I actually looked pretty? Which was a big deal because I never complimented myself. 

______

The game hadn't started yet, both teams are still warming up so I have time to check my phone and drink some water before I am thrown in the air again.

I go over to the bench on the sidelines and lean over to find my water bottle buried in my gym bag. I'm so concentrated -- digging through that I don't hear the yells from behind me. The warnings.

In a split second, a hand grips my wrist and pulls me away from my bag. I collide with a hard, warm surface and am too stunned to speak after I'm whipped to the side. A soccer ball whizzes just behind me at a killer speed, eventually hitting the bleachers with a loud thud.

Two hands still grasp both my wrists, holding me close, but I shift my gaze toward the field. A group of our players are looking at me sheepishly, clearly guilty of almost taking my head off.

Then I look up at Warner, staring down at me concerned. He's breathing hard, and I assume he ran over to get me out of the way. My mind whirs and I take in the situation -- me pressed against this tall, muscular body -- as he pants above me. My head barely reaches his neck, and he occupies my full field of vision. 

Holy fucking shit.

I take a step backward, trying to gauge the unreadable expression on his face. I smooth my clothes out, about to say something when he walks closer to the guys on his team with a murderous expression on his face.

"Watch where you fucking kick!" He yells at them angrily. They look over toward us and fall dead silent. Though they have the numbers, they straighten up and one holds his hands up in surrender. The four of them back away slowly and go back to practicing shots on the net. 

He doesn't say anything else, just goes right back to their team's warm-up. I grab my water, this time looking back at the field to see if anyone else is trying to take my head off. 

The only person trying to take my head off is Emily, at least with the look she is giving me. She doesn't want me anywhere near Warner and this whole week I have obeyed! This interaction wasn't even my fault, he was protecting me from getting possible brain damage.

She saunters over with a big smile on her face, which is how she tricked me in the first place. That smile is what got me into this mess. Curse me for being the feminist I am and assuming every girl I meet is a nice person.

"Hey, Jules can you do me a favour and not go to the tailgate tonight?" She is smiling at me but her words aren't so sweet.

"Ummm why?"

"Because I don't want to have to keep watching you throw yourself at Warner. I have informed the entire team that you are trying to steal my boyfriend so if they see you there you are just confirming that you are a boyfriend stealing snake." She says her threats in a perky voice and I can't lie I am kind of scared. After the whole Sierra situation, I am exhausted, I know when to pick my battles and this wasn't one of them. Drinking beer in a parking lot was not worth Emily's wrath.