"Yes Abuela." Mirabel still did not meet her eyes, not wanting to see words reflected in her eyes, her expression. Alma turned and left the way she had come, leaving Mirabel there to decide what to do next. She didn't want to hide in her room- the nursery. So, where else could she go? Was there anyone that would want to spend her birthday with her?

With halting footsteps, she explores the town, trying to find someone, anyone, who might remember her birthday. All she wanted now was to hear the simple phrase, enough to know they really did care enough to remember. Usually, she'd have heard it from her Mama by now, but she had been up before dawn, trapped in the kitchens.

The new ten-year-old was heartbroken as she turned to go back home to Casita. She had spent nearly the whole morning meandering Encanto and not a single person seemed to spare her even a glance, not one person stopping long enough to say the three words she'd wanted to hear. Her eyes flitted over to a small shop, and she paused. Well, even if they didn't remember, she knew she could get herself something pretty to work with at the seamstress's shop. They always had such pretty fabrics and thread.

Inside Mirabel fingered the fabrics, looking over them with wonder. This was one of her favorite places in Encanto, and with good reason. The ladies were actually friendly. The fabrics were colorful and bright and beautiful. There were pretty things all around her, pretty things that she could learn to make if she kept practicing.

She gasped and spun around when someone called her name. "Mirabel!" Blinking up she could see a warm smile spread across the young woman's face. "Maia." she greeted back, sheepishly. A crinkling sound caught her attention and her eyes drifted down to see a bag half hidden behind Maia and half hidden just with her skirts. "I've got a little something for you today." she tells her, and Mirabel can't help but blink in surprise. "You do? Why? What is it?" the questions tumble, and Maia only shakes her head with a sigh, muttering something under her breath that Mirabel couldn't catch, but it seemed disappointed, and Mirabel shrunk back slightly at the thought that she'd just disappointed Maia somehow.

Maia was tall and thin, about as tall and thin as her prima Dolores even though she was slightly older. Dolores and Isabela were both seventeen now and Maia was twenty-two. Her hair was just as curly as Mirabel's, and way longer too. Mirabel wondered if she'd like to have her hair grow that long, but so far, she kept her hair fairly short in a familiar cut she'd worn as far back as she could remember. Maia had such warm eyes and a warm smile that it was almost impossible to feel unwelcome in her presence, so even wondering if she'd just disappointed Maia, Mirabel found herself easily relaxing when she spoke again.

"Come here." she nodded her head towards the chairs at the project counter. Without hesitation she hopped up into the seat. As she adjusted her glasses on her nose she watched with big eyes as a large bag was placed onto the counter. Instead of reaching out to touch it, even though Maia's eyes clearly told her to, Mirabel stared at it dumbfounded. "I- it- is it for me?" she stammered; jaw dropped as she stared at Maia.

"Happy Birthday Mirabel." she reached out and squeezed her shoulder gently. "This is just for you." she promised.

With twitching fingers and shaky hands, Mirabel pulled apart the package, folding the tissue paper that hid the gifts. A pile of vibrant blue fabric that was neatly folded came out of them bag first, then a pile of magenta, then a green. "Wow!" she ran her hands along the top, feeling the softness of each, a ghost of a smile on her lips.

"Don't stop yet!" she was urged, "You still have some things in there."

"There is?" she gasped and reached back inside, a few more items spilling onto the counter with her. First, a new outfit. A three tiered and three colored blue skirt unfolded, and she gaped at it. At the hem was a fourth blue in fringe and scalloped edges. The top that followed was solid white and black, beautiful butterfly embroidery decorating the scalloped edges this time. The final thing inside was a bag full of beautiful and brightly colored thread. "So, you can decorate." Maia told her when she looked up in question.