I'm Hurt (On the Inside) PART 1

The Request:

AO3 - Pro_Moth - Maybe a fic where the (post movie) family find out since Mirabel was 5 when they don't do something for the town or they do something they don't like the town take it out on Mirabel (hitting her etc.) and are rightfully pissed (angst and hurt/comfort) -and maybe a Mirabel gets bullied fic with some protective family (Hurt/comfort maybe some fluff)

Mirabel pranced as she rounded the corner, her bag thumping against her thigh. She'd been happier, lighter ever since Casita had come back to them and she had gotten her special door with a knob made just for her. Under her breath she hummed a song for Dolores, and mentally thanked her Tia Pepa for being in such a good mood today. The sun was shining, not a single cloud in sight. Yesterday, and even the whole of last week was a different story, what with Tia Pepa feeling frantic and upset, though she refused to tell the children what had gotten her in such a state.

It wasn't until her back roughly hit the wall that she remembered why she should have hidden away back at home. Marcos. Dante. Valeria. Sofia. Four teenagers stood directly in front of her with glaring eyes and wrinkled up noses. "Um... Hi guys..." she tried to squeak out, hoping this wouldn't be too bad of a visit.

"You want to tell me why it was raining yesterday? How about the entire last week? The absolute downpour ruined our plans." Marcos hissed at her. "Why is your Tia always causing it to rain? Is it because you're just so plain and unspecial it makes her upset to even see your pathetic face?" his sister Valeria continued for him.

"Did stupid little Camilo show her how dumb she is that she doesn't even know how to be happy when she has everything she could ever want? Everyone is always bending over backwards to keep the ungrateful witch happy, and she never is. Did that gossiping whore spill some dirty secrets or tell the truth and make her mama cry?" It was Dante's turn to rip into her. "Or was it all just you? Your whole family causes problems for Encanto, but you especially so. Ever since you didn't get a stupid gift, you're always in the way trying to make yourself much more important than you are."

Dimly she wondered if Dolores would hear this. She had never caught it before, so why would she now? What was catching her attention so fully she would miss her little cousin being tormented and bullied. They'd dealt plenty of physical blows when they were kids- they could get away with it. But once they got older, they realized something. Not only would they not believe they were just kids roughhousing anymore, but there was something that did a far better job of keeping Mirabel in line. It had never gotten physical since then, no more marks left to be healed by Julieta. It was more easily hidden that way, and they all knew since being children that words had always seemed to hurt Mirabel deeper than any punch or kick they could deal her. Right now? So close to finally being given the affirmation she had craved from her family, her confidence and courage was not strong, and it easily began to crack and crumble with each word.

"I-" she tried to talk past the pit in her throat.

"Fix your stupid family and get them back in line." Marcos sneered at her.

Mirabel felt like she couldn't breathe, she had thought this was finally over. The mean looks, the words that cut her down easier than any knife, the awful feelings that ate away at her every minute of every day. She thought finally she would be free of it all when her family started to grow and heal and connect as a family as they worked together and rebuilt their beloved Casita. It had been like coming home, seeing Casita's walls raised and tiles delicately placed. Everything was perfect, and a warmness filled her that she hadn't felt since her door had glowed during her ceremony. That had faded quickly after her door dissolved right in front of her eyes and hadn't returned again until she held a doorknob emblazoned with a beautiful letter M to return to Casita's main door.

The world caved in around her as she sunk down, back staying against the wall, until she curled up knees to her chest as she sat down. The four teenagers towered above her now and her gut twisted and turned. All the nasty words ringing in her ears, the nasty thoughts turning over in her brain.

"Marcos. Dante. Valeria. Sofia." A soft voice hummed, but anyone could hear the calm anger in it. The four teens turned, and their eyes widened as they turned to stare. They had thought she was preoccupied, having seen Mariano strolling past in the square with her on his arm. And as they saw her, they realized he was standing directly behind her, arms crossed with an expression that was almost a fatherly disappointed look that pointed right at them. "Is this how your Mama and Papa raised you?" she asked, "How do you think they will feel when it is explained what horrific things you are saying to my prima? Do you think they will be proud of the children they raised? Do you think they will applaud you for your actions?" The four shrunk, not ashamed but astounded and fearful that they were caught.

"I- we're sorry!" Sofia yipped, the first time she'd actually said anything.

"No, you're just sorry you were caught." Mariano spoke up this time, as he looked down on them.

For once, Dolores looked imposing, shoulders back and chin up, eyes looking down her nose. It actually reminded Mirabel of their Abuela. Clearly a stance she had learned from her. "Now, you best believe my- what is it you called her, ungrateful was it? Yes, that's it, isn't it. My ungrateful Mama will make it storm when she hears this. Believe this as well, if they had her gift, I know your parents would do the same." She spoke harshly even with her calm demeanor. "This act will not go unpunished. Follow me. Mariano, please take Mirabel home." she turned to look over her shoulder as she addressed him.

He gave her a solemn nod, gently gripping her forearms in a loving manner before stepping past and guiding Mirabel to her feet. "Come, let's go." Mutely Mirabel followed his lead, with only a glance over her shoulder to see Dolores forcing them to walk in a line with her off to see their parents for their punishments. Mariano's hand was gentle on her arms, one hand on each arm as he urges her to face forward with the same gentle pressure. The two are mute as they meander through the streets, loud with music and color that doesn't make Mirabel feel much of anything.

She still didn't feel much of anything even as Casita rattled and waved at her eagerly welcoming her back, as always. "Hola Casita." she mumbled the first words she'd managed to say for a while. The ghost of a smile tugged at Mariano's lips before returning to rest. To the kitchen they went, and he sat her on a stool, giving her mother a nod as she turned around her happy smile falling immediately. "Mira?" In an instant her mother was by her side and Camilo, who had seen them come in from the banister above, was dropping a blanket around her shoulders, pulling on it tightly.

"Mirabel, what happened?" Her mother asked, cupping her cheek and squeezing her shoulder. Mirabel leaned into the touch instinctively, but still, she did not utter another word.

"There were some kids in town." Mariano whispered. "Dolores heard the things they were saying to Mirabel. She refused to repeat them, she just took off. I didn't even know the problem until they were right in front of us." He shook his head, "I caught the tail end when we surprised them What they were saying... They were quite cruel. Dolores is dealing with them now." With a look to the non-responsive girl, he leaned over and whispered it to Camilo and Julieta.

Julieta seemed frozen but was just as calm as Dolores in her manner and expression even while fury filled her eyes. "they said what? To my baby?" Her nose twitched and she licked her lips. "Tia, Dolores will take care of them. You know she will." Camilo knew she wanted to go after them and his eyes flitted from her to Mirabel, telling her to stay. "Mira needs you." his voice was hushed. "I'll go tell Mama, Papa, Tio Bruno, and Abuela." he informed her and gave Mariano a look, "Go find Tio Agustin, Luisa, and Isa."

"We need to have a family meeting. Now."