Blue Birthday

The Request:

AO3- mikafreak 95- Could you write One where Mirabel is 6, her family forgets her birthday and her Tio Bruno exits from the walls for One surprise

AO3 - Blueorchid 7 - Can you do one where Mirable's birthday is forgotten by her family, but she has a very close friend in the town who celebrates her birthday.

Slight alteration to request because I just can't see Julieta forgetting Mirabel's birthday. But I can see it being... minimally celebrated? As well as her being overrun with work from the town?

WHOOPS I FORGOT YOU SAID SIX AND WROTE IT FOR TEN INSTEAD. Sorry Mikafreak 95. I like how this turned out, so I'm definitely posting it, but I'll try to go back and redo with a six-year-old Mirabel.

In each of the years following Mirabel's failure of a gift ceremony, the little girl had smaller and smaller birthday parties. The first year she just hadn't wanted a party, not at all, but she didn't fight that Abuela wanted to keep things normal, so a party just as grand, if not grander than all the others took place. It was like they were compensating for her lack of a gift, the disappointment that had settled when the glittering magic door disappeared from sight. But even Mirabel noticed, with each one after that, the grandeur of it all diminished and they became smaller and smaller until there was little left.

It was the day of Mirabel's tenth birthday now, but to her it had already begun to feel almost like any other regular day of the year. She was ten today and all she wanted was to celebrate with her Mama. It was like the town knew that was all she wanted and didn't want to give her a moment's satisfaction. Abuela had Julieta running to fend off the town's injuries, back and forth, back and forth: to and from her kitchens in order to keep the food flowing. As much as everyone believed, it was not easy for her to have a steady supply of food ready for them to consume. It took a lot of time, energy, and ingredients to do the amount of work Julieta did.

For some reason the collective citizens of Encanto picked today, of all days, to need round the clock cooking and care from their resident magical healer. Julieta wished she could turn her back on her duty, if only for the day, but she couldn't. Mama had always drilled how important image was, how important it was that they spend every day of their lives earning the gift that the candle gave them. And for Julieta, that meant always, always, always, being ready and baking something up to keep the town healed of it's injuries.

Mirabel watched from the doorway as her mother scurried from one end of the kitchens to the other, frantic movements as she attempted to keep a steady flow of food going into baskets and out the door. She found herself opening her mouth, only to close it seconds later when a hand landed on her shoulder. Silently she let Abuela turn her body, following the soft pressure until it stopped. Her eyes were downcast as Abuela spoke to her in a low voice. "Now Mirabel, you know better than to interrupt Julieta while she's in the kitchens. She's working. She's earning the miracle." it was a familiar message that made Mirabel cringe and shrink her shoulders a little.

"I just-" she sniffed slightly, "I was going to ask if Mama wanted some help." she admits. Her one wish for today was to spend her birthday with her mother, but her mother being busy made that impossible. So, if she had to be working in order to spend her day with her mother, then she would, but it would appear Abuela Alma had a different opinion, as usual. She played with her fingers, trying to dispel the feeling that she was being brushed aside as unimportant or bothersome.

A sigh met her ears in response and the thought in Mirabel's head continued to repeat. Unimportant. Bothersome. Irritating. Burdensome. Inconveniencing. That's what she was. "Leave the work to those it belongs to. You'll only cause a problem when you get in the way." It was like she was trying to be gentle as she dismissed her and chose all the wrong words.