I will be able to go out once I'm 16, right?

Ji-Eun's reaction slightly surprised Jin, yet not enough for him to show his surprise on his face. She coughed to regain her composure, and straightened herself.

How do you know that?

Jin's gaze dropped to the floor.

My parents used to tell me that... especially my dad. And NamJoon too.

The young woman blinked several times as she heard the name NamJoon. She knew how dear this person was to Jin, but she never knew why it was so. Despite the years of psychological help, Jin was still really shy for words, only sharing things clumsily or unintentionally because Ji-Eun knew her way around with words. Yet the boy was still cautious about what he shared. She shakily exhaled and the room feel silent, which made Jin curious. She spoke again after thinking for a moment.

Did they tell you why you were not allowed to go out before you reach 16?

Jin nodded. It was obvious to him.

Because of trackers, children are weak and frail so they could get caught more easily.

As he was talking, Jin started frowning. He had realised the existence of a crack in his theory, and it made him wonder.

But, I don't understand... Why was JiMin allowed to go out from time to time with his father if it's forbidden to go out for anyone under 16?

Ji-Eun suddenly stopped in track when she heard the boy's words. Jin had raised a problematic issue. The woman sighed, she seemed disheartened hearing the question. Jin was suddenly embarrassed, but the young women shook her head. She took some time to think, something about Jin's words seemed off. He did not seem to know everything about the infamous outing at sixteen. She calmly spoke up.

His father is one of the best hunters in the entire bunker. He thinks that hidding the children in the bunker won't make them stronger. Since he wants to teach survival skill to JiMin, he illegally takes him out to hunt together, and to show him how the outside looks like, the real one.

Astonished by her words, Jin hesitated.

... And you're not afraid?

She gently smiled.

I was at first, but not anymore.

Jin stared at the young woman, waiting for explanation.

If I let fear takes over me now, then I won't be able to stand strong for others. I won't be there for JiMin, my husband, the bunker resident... nor even for myself.

Jin was once again surprised by Ji-Eun. Somehow, he was envious of how she could trust the people around her. The young boy did not know how to do that anymore. He played with his fingers while staring at the ground once again.

As I decided to trust, despite being really angry at first, but we're never safe from an unexpected catastrophe... so I'd rather know that JiMin is able to defend himself as a child instead of... Anyway, she said.

Ah... And do you trust me then? To go outside?

Ji-Eun gently laughed as she crossed her arms on her chest.

Of course, but this is a particular situation. Why do you want to go outside and where to exactly?

Jin slightly frowned. Why did he need to justify his outing? He was 16, he could do whatever he wanted to. Jin was fed up of being monitored like that. Lying again and again just to live peacefully. Jin had more than enough of all of the lies that filled his life here, just to protect an artificial happiness. So, Jin mumbled.