chapter 26;

Time was really fascinating as its perception could differ depending on the person and their situation. Minutes could either feel like a fraction of a second, or became endless hours. Yes, time was really fascinating. Still, time ran at its own space and never stopped for anyone.

Jin knew it all too well, he understood it when he was 8 years old.

The boy had been aging since then. And he was now 16 years old. Among all the teenagers around his age in the bunker, he was one of the tallest. His jet-black hair had grown enough to hide both his thick eyebrows and dark-coloured eyes. His lips, on the other hand, did not change. They were still as full and pink as they always were. Still, Jin had changed quite a lot since he first arrived at the bunker, it was a fact. Time did not wait for anyone, and irreversibly changed humans. It had been eight long years since Jin arrived at the bunker, it had been eight years since Jin started to grow up surrounded by other humans, yet...

It also been eight years since Jin had had any news from him.

Jin still thought about from time to time. Maybe it was less than before, but it still happened. Yet, the face of the person who once saved him was slowly getting blurry in his memories as they became fragile and unsure, just as his voice. Only his silver hair remained as the most trustworthy memory he had built up to now. Jin sighed.

Does something worry you, Jin?

Comfortably sitting in an old sofa, Jin slowly looked up toward Ji-Eun, JiMin's mother. They were in a spacious room where books decorated shelves up to the roof. On the wall behind the young woman, some children's drawings were exposed. Yet today, she was not here as his friend's mother, but as a doctor who was carefully listening to Jin's words. It was meant as mental care and it had been going on for several years already. In fact, the first session took place right when Jin arrived at the bunker, and his mental health had always been an important subject for Ji-Eun. She must have been worried... and she must be the only one in this bunker, JiMin and HoSeok put aside, to feel that way toward him. The young boy shrugged.

Not really.

The room grew silent. Ji-Eun put his pen down on her paper which was already quite full, and tilted the head to the side.

I know that you don't talk a lot, unless you're with JiMin and HoSeok, but do you have any other friends in the bunker?

Jin shook his head from left to right. Even though he was living in this giant bunker, he did not really want to create any relationship with anyone else in the bunker. The first obvious reason was that he could not trust them. The second reason was that it was easy to know everyone in this bunker. They might be... around a hundred living souls in here at most? And Jin never ever met anyone new in the bunker. So, it was a fact that Jin did not have any other "friends", yet his two friends were more than enough to him. Only JiMin and HoSeok's presence felt important to Jin's heart. Or maybe... maybe Jin refused to get too close to anyone and they were the only ones who were able to open the way to his heart? Maybe. Even him did not know for sure anymore.

Yet, what was the point of holding someone dear when dearest things in life were always the first to be lost?

I was wondering, Ji-Eun.

Ji-Eun raised her head as she heard her name. She was always calm and gentle. Her patience seemed endless, and Jin really respected her for that. Yet, despite being the most adorable person on earth, Jin had to confess that he was still unable to confide entirely to Ji-Eun and she knew it. So, she would give her undivided attention as soon as he would ask a single question.