Part 5 - Falco PUNCH!

Start from the beginning

A firm embrace was her safeguard from the uncertainty of the day that might be there last. The coldness of the armor felt as tender as his arms the last time they'd touched. She could tell he was looking down at her, and met his gaze with a half-lidded, broken smile. The impossible apocalypse she'd left him over... had come to pass.

Had she wasted the time they had together being petty?

Gabriel's visor went translucent, and she saw a trail of tears marring his delicate face. He looked calm, with a warm smile that scrunched his nose up. The big sap.

"Thank you for everything Lilith." He gazed deep into her pupils. "Wish I'd known what to say to fix us before today, but I'll see what I can do about that tomorrow, if you'd give me another chance - and for the record, I was made six years ago, so you've been training to do that longer than I have." He winked, and lifted Rosenquartz with his other arm until the giant man stood on one of Gabriel's boots.

A second beam of red light cut through the sunshine - someone was getting impatient. There was no time to talk or make amends. Lilith bit her lip.

"For Falco!" The captain boomed.

His team echoed his cry, and Gabriel accelerated and they fell to the news building.

Moving with gravity was rough, Lilith always felt like she was in freefall. She wasn't surprised Quartz had issues flying with Gabe, but they broke through the skylight faster than Lilith thought possible.

The stop was just as rough, frankly, she was surprised Gabriel's Class 3 body could handle so many G's. Lilith felt her headache worsen at the abrupt landing and noticed they hadn't even cracked the floor. Gabriel was getting better. The instant they landed, Rosenquartz took off sprinting to the door but slowed in confusion.

The broadcasting room was tense, but not chaotic or violent.

Red Global stood lazily behind Fatima, everyone else was frozen in shock. At the door, what looked like a Class 3 Super was holding the thick door shut as bodies thudded up against it. The limber reporter looked to have the situation well in hand, though her hair was a mess and her face was red.

Drones filled the air above them with Red Global's lights and cameras. "Welcome, welcome! Everybody give a warm round of applause to our contestants today: a ragtag bunch formerly associated with the Republic! Now, if I could have some space here, would the viewers in the building please stop this ruckus at the door? Miss Janna Rio over here has earned a rest, and trust me, you do not want to walk in here."

It took a few seconds, but after a couple of shouts and a small explosion from the hallway, the shoving at the door stopped abruptly. The surprisingly strong reporter stayed at the door and waved Rosenquartz back to the group.

An ominous look and a deep breath from Red Global kept the team on their toes. "I will fight first, then my teammates will take a turn. We fight until one of us remains or an entire team surrenders."

Despite the terms, the Heroes relaxed a fraction, they had a moment to pick who would go first, so they convened in a huddle.

"I think I should go first," Rosenquartz said, surprising Lilith and Gabriel.

"What?" The pink giant asked. "I can take a few hits. You figure out how to stop her. Who knows? Maybe I'll manage to hit her with her own lasers and win."

He was wildly overestimating his strength. A Class 5, Rosenquartz was close to the most indestructible thing on the planet, but even that wouldn't hold up long against Red Global - who was too strong to even be Classed.

Despite this, Gabriel nodded and whispered, "If things get too heated I'll jump in. Don't hesitate to surrender if need be."

Rosenquartz nodded and left the huddle, stomping across the floor and emphasizing his bulk.