Chapter 9

At midnight, Jace is fast asleep. He's a cuddlebug. He loves cuddling. I'm wrapped tightly in his arms and his face is buried in my breasts. His mouth is slightly parted, and his leg is over mine.

I can't sleep.

My fingers have been running through his hair since we climbed in bed at ten forty five.

It's black Friday and there are so many things we need for the house.

Slowly, I wiggle out of his arms. He wakes right up.

"Where are you going?"

"To the store and then the house." I kiss his lips and pull the blankets up higher. He grunts in response. I dress in jeans and a loose white t-shirt with paint on it, throw my long red hair in a messy bun, put on black converse, grab my purse, and leave.

****

I got everything I could possibly need, furniture included. I made so many trips. Everything is set in random rooms. I told the designers and everyone they could go home. I forgot my phone at home last night.

All that's left is for me to finish painting. It's three in the afternoon. I add the last line of paint to the wall in the hallway.

Downstairs is already dry. I head down the hall and down the stairs and start to rearrage furniture and put things in place.

I hear the front door slam.

"What if she left, Dad?" Hailey asks.

"Rylee!" Jace calls.

"I'm in the living room." I call.

He comes in with the kids. "Where have you been? I woke up at one in the morning and you were gone!"

I frown. "I told you at midnight that I was going to the store and then to the house." I frown.

"No you didn't."

"Yes I did." I say. "You woke up when I stood up and asked where I was going."

He frowns. "I don't remember that."

"It happened, I promise."

"Where is wet paint?" Jace sigh after hugging me.

"Uh, in the hall upstairs."

"Which hall?"

"The one with Kaden and Noah and Hailey's rooms, and the guest room."

He nods and sits down. The kids make themselves at home. I move furniture and Jace watches me as I place things on shelves and set things in.

"How much money did you spend today?" he cringes. I give him a guilty look.

"I love you." I trail off.

"Ry." He says.

"Fine." I bite my lip. "To be honest, it was over ten thousand dollars."

Jace lets out a loud sigh and shakes his head.

"Are you mad at me?" I ask innocently.

"No." he grumbles.

Jace pulls my phone out of his pocket.

"It's your boss." He says.

I stare at it.

I guess I should press answer.

I sigh and answer it.

"Hello?"

"You're home, right?" he asks.