• Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two: Must Have Been A Deadly Kiss

You didn't know how to describe the feeling of when you looked at him. It would send a pulse to your heart and a tingling to your fingers. You'd been staring at him for far too long now, watching him count several papers on his desk.

You leaned farther into Emily's desk, biting down on the inside of your cheek, watching his muscles flex in the button up he wore. Time was moving quite fast. Two weeks ago you were making snow angels and three weeks ago, you were sobbing in his kitchen floor. Over the course of a month, Hotch had been desperate to bring a smile to your face.

For example, he asked you to come to the BAU with him today. Of course you said you were tired but he insisted that it would be a good time since you'd been away. The team was in a uproar of joy when they saw you. Realization was a cursing and a blessing when you were engulfed in hugs, they cared so much. And apparently the gifts they had been sending you weren't enough 'love' as Penelope stated.

You shook your head and returned your attention back to Derek and Spencer who were fighting over who knows that.

"Will they over grow out of this, fighting phase?" you asked, puzzled.

Below you, Emily shrugged and continued writing on her case file. "You know they won't, they're like morbid enemies but not."

"Well that explains it," you laugh, "I've known you all for six months and I still don't understand."

"Yeah it took me nearly a year or so," Emily explains.

"Did they welcome you when you came?"

"They did, but not as quickly as they did you. When you came it felt right, but it was just after Elle left and they were all bitter."

"I'm glad they didn't run me over when I came," you teased, "I don't think I'd be able to handle it."

Emily laughs and follows it with a sigh, watching Spencer under a soft gaze.

"Reid is the one who takes the longest to adapt but I think you being close in age really helped him out. He always felt outnumbered."

Coffee aroma drifts through the air and you can't help but breath it in. You always enjoyed working here mostly for the atmosphere. Everyone around is determined to get things done, more importantly to please each other. Even with the slight competition, everyone cared for one another. A huge, twisted, family of agents.

Technically you're only a lawyer but working around special agents and supervisors made you feel badass. You'd always have the FBI title.

"I try not to think about it too much," you admit, "Coming in here and pushing myself in. I wondered what you guys always thought, thankfully it wasn't horribly morbid."

Emily shakes her head with dry amusement, indefinitely and utterly confused. "You were the light of the party. Even Penelope agreed."

"You know I've been thinking about coming back full time,"

"What?"

You nodded and twist the decorative ring on your finger, "Yeah, after all of this is done. I'll start seeing someone, a therapist hopefully, get an apartment."

"Are you ready for all of that?" Emily asks softly.

You know her tone is curious and your shoulders relax when you finally say those words. She was one of the people other than Hotch that you could confide in and it wouldn't be terrifying. Deep down you were scared to move on. Change wasn't your strong suit and your world was about to shift drastically in such a quick amount of time. It was for the best that you didn't know updates on Axel. Once he was caught, he was caught, and you'd live your life and create a new normal.