14. Truths Come Out

Start from the beginning

"Exactly. Rich people problems. That's the fucking joke. We don't have actual problems, and I don't have the right to have bad thoughts about anyone," he said with bitterness oozing through his words. "My life is perfect, so all I can do is to be grateful. Hell, I don't even know what a real problem looks like."

"And what about me?" I asked since he still hadn't answered my question.

He gave me a smile. "You're so different. I really like it when you hate me."

I raised my brows at him, and he laughed.

"You're not easy. You're not boring. You're not..." he carefully glanced at me. "You're not perfect. And that makes you so much better than any single one of them."

"Thanks, I guess," I said and chuckled. "I'm going to take that as a compliment since I know how much you hate the word perfect."

"I don't hate that word."

"Please, it's like a curse word coming from your mouth," I said with a wave of my hand.

He laughed lightly, then shook his head and smirked at me. "When you hit my head on my desk, it was love at first sight."

Now I had to laugh. "I can do it again if that turns you on."

"Oh, you'd love to turn me on," he said with a wink.

I rolled my eyes and turned to look away for a brief moment. I wouldn't mind turning him on...

"Anyway," I said to push that thought out of my head. "Nothing you just said makes you a massive, entitled jerk."

"Yes, it does..."

"Look. You are entitled, and I think it's great you can see that, but you are also entitled to your feelings. You are allowed to hate backstabbers and beggars. You're allowed to be tired of other people's bullshit when it's actual bullshit."

He shook his head without replying to me. Oh well, at least I tried.

"So we'll continue not speaking again now, huh?" I asked after a while.

"Sorry, I was just thinking..." he mumbled.

"About what?"

"You," he said.

I stared at him, the blush creeping back on my cheeks. "You think you're so smooth..."

"Is it working?"

I squinted my eyes at him and refused to answer.

We stayed silent for a while again, but Nic seemed to be in a slightly better mood. I spent that time trying to picture myself in his shoes. I couldn't really understand his problems, but that didn't mean he didn't have problems. I could see only the things I was witnessing, after all. I had no idea what he had to go through on a daily basis and no matter how rich he was, he was still a human with human feelings.

And I had to admit, if people were talking about me like they were talking about him behind my back, and I'd find out about it... I would fucking hate them too. Like Nic could've chosen which family he was born into.

"Let's go for a walk," Nic suddenly said after we'd nearly reached the small town close by.

Five minutes later, he parked his car in a small parking lot right next to a river. Once we got out, I saw a small area for swimming to our left, and a pathway leading away from it. Nic locked the doors and headed to the river, so I followed him.

The silence continued between us as we walked, following the river away from the town. I didn't really mind the silence. Especially since I could feel the tension building up between us.