Arc 4. Charming Black Sheep Meets Secret Beauty Otaku (Levi x Reader) Chapter 10

Chapter 10: A Petty Monster Waits in the Darkness

Maya has always worn her hair long. Her mother, whose own hair also never went above her elbows, insisted that "a girl must be cute and pretty, a girl's hair should be long and soft," because no man would want a boyish-looking wife.

But to be honest, Maya often found her hair to be annoying. It took too much time to brush and style it every single day.

She didn't want to disobey her mother, who would surely punish her if she cut it.

But she has pestered her brother and even that stalker--no, even her friend, Levi, and they were currently standing inside a beauty salon.

Now, a young woman with purple streaks in her hair and a nose piercings approached them with a bright smile. "Welcome, welcome. How can I help you?"

Maya bowed her head. She's never seen such a flashy person before. It was kind of cool, but her mother used to warn her that women with piercings and colorful hair dyes were "dangerous."

Seeing your Maya's hesitation, you answered the stylist, "I'm thinking of dyeing my hair blue."

"Hah?" Leviathan, who was trying his best to appear small by keeping quiet in this place for normies, suddenly exclaimed.

Maya raised her eyes in shock.

You gave her a wink and continued to chat with the stylist, "My old man keeps telling me to get my hair done. I wanna surprise him." Surprise him so badly that he'll have a heart attack, that is.

[Host, you're too naughty.]

"I'm telling the truth though."

[This body's father wanted you to cut your hair because it's too shaggy, not dye it.]

"That old fart is just jealous that his hair keeps disappearing as he ages like the cheap beer he is."

The stylist clasped her hands together. "If it's blue, you're in luck, we just got a bunch of new colors added in our collection. Let me get our pamphlet." When the girl went to get their selection, Levi grabbed your shoulders.

"Are you crazy? You wanna dye your hair? Everyone will think you're a delinquent for sure!"

"They already think that I'm a good-for-nothing who's only good at fights," you stated without much concern.

"S-still ... aren't you worried? A person who looks like a troublemaker will attract more troublemakers. What will our classmates think?"

You tilted your head. "Who cares what they think? It's not like we're close."

"How can you be so relaxed about this?"

After not speaking for a while, you replied, "My mother."

Levi jumped back from the answer. "What?"

"In her books, my favorite character was the indigo-colored stout snake. He acted like he was too good to be friends with other people, but deep inside he was just insecure. When he started to change his way of thinking, I couldn't help but want to cheer him on."

"O-oh."

Hearing this line of reasoning, Maya and Levi felt warm in their hearts, but also ashamed. Levi thought that this delinquent was just trying to get attention while Maya scolded herself for letting her mother's words affect her views on her brother.

"Then ... " She shyly gathered all her hair over one shoulder. "I also want to cut my hair ... "

The stylist came back with a copy of the available hair dyes just in time to hear Maya's words. She beamed. "Well, a girl like you would still be pretty in any hairstyle."