Arc 4. Charming Black Sheep Meets Secret Beauty Otaku (Levi x Reader) Chapter 6

ALSO WARNING: Mentions of abuse.

Chapter 6: Some Lovers Would Rather Do the Eating

When you and Maya returned home later that evening, there was an old man waiting for you. Your alleged father was red-faced. "What's this about you starting a fire at campus?"

You almost forgot about him.

Standing in the living room, he was slightly taller than most Japanese men and he always appeared hygienic but he had no outstanding features. (You, a sucker for beauty, were grateful that this body inherited the mother's good genes.)

Of course, this world is a shoujo anime, a genre that seems to hate parents. This father was only present during extra special moments, such as the time he brought his mistress and daughter home, and right now--scolding his so-called son.

He was blabbering something about "unfilial kid" and "useless delinquent" but his face was so boring that you just stopped listening all together. At the corner of your eye, Maya hid behind you, eyebrows furrowed and lips trembling. It was easy to mistake her expression to be "scared" but you knew she was actually angry. She was like a puppy glowering at a stranger. Thinking of this, you couldn't help the soft laugh that escaped your mouth.

Maya gazed up in surprise while the old man stomped his foot--

"What the hell are you laughing at, huh? You think this is funny?" Blah, blah, blah.

The original MC got tired of explaining himself to this guy years ago and you didn't want to waste your spit on him. You stood there, hands in your pockets and nodding along to the man's words.

However, when Maya saw that you didn't plan on talking, she stepped forward to speak, "Dad, you got it all wrong. There was no fire!"

"What's going on?" said a newcomer, your stepmom.

You observed her without a change in expression. It seemed like she just arrived from a photo op.

She seems ... normal, you noted.

She made her way next to her husband, who told her that the principal called him about your arson case.

Maya was quick to defend you, "It's not like that, he didn't--"

"Maya," the stepmother spoke, and Maya locked her jaw. Then the woman turned to her husband. "Dear, whatever trouble it is, let's forgive him. Maya went out of her way to help her brother so we should side with him as his parents and just forget about it."

Maya seemed to brighten up. But she was a naive girl. Although the snake mother's words seemed to be for you, if one were to read between the lines, it was the opposite. She made it out to sound like you were guilty of the crime while praising her daughter for being generous. Another interpretation would be: He's not worth the time so forget about him and focus on your daughter.

The trash father was convinced, his face lost its redness as he hugged his wife. "I'm so lucky to have you and Maya." Then he threw a dirty look at you. "Apologize to your teachers and classmates."

There was no smoke, no proof of arson, so why would the principal call and accuse you? What kind of parent just ignores something as big as arson?

[Regular and low level worlds are like that. People are cartoonish and the laws of logic are abnormal.]

This truly was a stupid state of affairs.

"I kinda wish I did set that school on fire," you whispered. Then you stretched your arms upward. "Man, what a day. I feel like playing basketball, wanna come, Maya?" There was no court at your house but there was a hoop in the backyard.