Arc 4. Charming Black Sheep Meets Secret Beauty Otaku (Levi x Reader) Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Let Me Teach You the Ways of Gap Moe

The next morning, Maya ate between her mom and dad. Her father kept rambling nonstop about an important contract with a foreign company, oblivious to the dreary air surrounding his "beloved" daughter.

The system noted Maya's breakfast of one egg roll and half a cup of rice.

[According to my calculations, she weighs dangerously low for someone her height.]

"My guess is that her control freak mother conditioned her into developing a poor appetite."

When you appeared in front of the table, your dad stopped talking. He scowled. "Why do you always take so long to get ready? Don't blame us for not leaving enough leftovers--"

Not enough, you repeated his words. Last time I checked, this house didn't have any money problems. And this dirtbag has the nerve to talk like this when he never even invited me to a meal.

It was like the first time the original MC met his new stepmom and stepsister: he arrived home from the arcade and found his dad dining and laughing with two other people. The table was set for three people only.

You ignored him, strode past the dining table and straight into the kitchen.

"Don't ignore me, you brat!"

Your stepmom reached over the table to pat his hand placatingly.

"If he wants to be part of this family he should eat with us like a regular person instead of sneaking around like a rat."

"It's okay, dear. The boy can't help it if he can't accept me and Maya." Her tone was sweet but her words put you in a bad light.

Opening the fridge, you rolled your eyes. Although the original MC was wary of the mother-daughter pair, he wouldn't have become so distant if it weren't for this bitch.

When you passed by the table again, Maya put down her chopsticks and scrambled for her bag.

"Maya," spoke her mother.

The female lead flinched.

She nibbled on her lips and nodded towards her mom. "B-bye mom." She then reluctantly hugged her father. "Later, dad."

He chuckled and squeezed her tightly. "Good luck at school, sweetheart."

"Thank you ... " She then speedwalked out the house.

You were already in the car and she greeted you with a wide, blushing smile.

You barely turned your head towards her before grunting and turning your attention to the road.

Maya soundlessly strapped on her seatbelt.

[Host, I didn't ask you last night because you were researching, but what changed your mind into accepting the hidden task?]

"Nothing special." Your eyes flickered over your half-sister's reflection in the rear-view mirror. Her hair hid her face as she hung her head, her folded hands rested obediently on her lap.

"A bonus is a bonus, no matter how small."

Maya never made a sound or raised her head the entire ride to school while you played chess with the system through its monitor.

You reached a stalemate when the car passed through the campus gates.

You were the first exit, but you didn't leave right away.

You waited for Maya to step out of the car.

"Oy."

She winced, then looked up.