Thou Be My Valour

– T A Y A H –

"Come, Tayah. Sit with me." Lara called, smiling at the space beside her. I think it was intended to be inviting but I felt nothing but awkward reservation. I had a history of plenty of ill informed suitors but none that I had previously encouraged.

I sighed and ignored Kaden's eyebrow waggle in response.

"I can volunteer as substitute for such an offer." John snorted.

I slapped him in the face and he choked on his drink as I passed. The crowd roared as another poor sod was thrown from his horse in armour that weighed more than two Kadens.

I threw myself into the high chair beside her with all the ladylike grace of a pirate. Lara did not miss the move or my splayed legs.

"I suppose this is not your regular outting." She probed, propping her chin on a white gloved hand. I ignored the overpowering perfume invading my nose and glanced at her guards behind us before answering.

"Oh I've attended jousts plenty. We used to gamble on them." I muttered, scanning the field as a small boy helped up his Sire.

This gained Lara's interest and she was sure to lean over her arm of the chair and appraise me.

"That sounds interesting."

I had an intense disliking when someone said that. I found it was the most unfulfilling sentence in our language. If that sounded interesting you would fill it with adjectives or inflammatory language like my buffoons crammed into every chance possible. Your expression would morph. Your gods damned–I checked my sudden internal outburst and shook my head. Why was I trying to compare the same woman who condemned me for my actions back in times of King's gold when it was not even worth the energy.

"Tayah?"

My eyes snapped across to her amused expression. Those amber eyes were once very attractive to me. Only now they seemed downright pale in comparison to burning silver.

"My apologies." I mumbled.

"You and that assassin of yours seem to share distraction..." She ventured. "I can see you are both very close."

I flinched and tried to rush out an excuse but then realised there was no need. She started laughing either way.

"When I first saw you together you looked as if you were the greatest of enemies." She admitted with a slightly confused glance. Then cast her eyes out the field where my immortal now rode out on a black horse in all her mortal made shimmering glory. "Now it seems that you cannot take your eyes off each other."

"She is a very good assassin." I muttered, watching her draw her reins and sit so dignified on her horse as the introductions were made and the houses announced. I didn't fail to feel my heart fall out of my own chest when my family name was read after her own. It still sent me into oblivion at how casually she had made the choice. She always did that with me. With us. Made our feelings as natural as the winds themselves–

"I do hope she is as formidable upon a horse as you lead me to believe."

I turned to her and couldn't resist the chuckle that left me. At what I had asked of her. And how I knew that helmeted head was raised in my direction all the way into the stands.

"She will win." I confirmed, "It may take a spell for her to get warmed up..." I added, grinning back as they were handed lances and took positions on opposite sides of the field.

Voices in the crowds grew louder and coin was being tossed between patrons on the lower stands. I didn't fail to miss my men becoming a part of the gambling fray. I rolled my eyes as Kaden scared off an angered but thin man and John had a blonde on his hip.