Lodging With A Lady

– T A Y A H –

We arrived by next morning when the sun was nearing the highest span. I rode Parsnip with Yanu clinging to my leathers. The men and demi-god walked on foot. But what I did not expect was the grandeur. I did not expect the Lord's estate to be quite so...

"Incredible!" John blurted, taking in the high turrets between the trees and the walled protection upon nearing it. It was not the only sight. There was a long jousting arena for entertainment and riders of higher bloodline. They were already out training.

"Man look! A joust such as the king's own!" Kaden grinned, below my horse.

I turned just in time to watch a wooden lance explode into splinters against a knight's chest piece and dismount him. His servants rushed to his side as he cursed out across the expanse.

"Ooo!" The men hissed excitedly. "Do tell me your Lady will let us take part–"

"She is not my anything!" I snapped, turning back to the main gates. I did not miss the Valkyrie's curious look upon the jousting arena before she turned back to the road last.

"I think not, mortal." Kára quipped cooly, "The sport is for Lords and knights of the realm only. You two wouldn't even pass for stable hands these days."

Kaden grumbled and adjusted his great axe more prominently while John rolled his eyes. The shining men at arms raised an arm ahead with a shout. I pulled on my reins and hopped off. He read a scroll in his hand briefly before turning his helmet back to us.

"State your names!" His voice rang clearly and formally. Nothing of the grunts and snears we were accustomed. I complied and he nodded ascent before waving down crossbow men above.

"You may leave your steed here and proceed to the inner courtyard. My Lady already awaits your arrival–"

I dumped the reins in his hand and made to move before he stopped me with a hand. I pulled back and raised an eyebrow. My demi-god suddenly materialised beside me and eyed him.

"No weapons beyond this point, if you please."

She snorted in disbelief, "You will not take damandium blades mort–"

I threw my hand in front of her mouth. "Of course we are happy to comply." I got out slowly, turning to her. She returned my stare wordlessly. Her jaw flexed before she turned to the man and pulled two gleaming daggers out and set them in his gloves. He swallowed audibly. 

"You might want to get some more men." She deadpanned, pulling out four more hidden blades as his eyes widened. He whistled behind him and more men took his sides waiting for the god-made weapons.

Several slithers later and six men at arms stacked high with mortal and immortal weaponry–we passed by the gates into the courtyard. The high blue flags twisted in the winds with golden Gryphon's upon them. I had to wonder how close to the King this Kavendish was... He clearly hosted that of Royalty regularly. 

"Tayah!" Lara called, descending her high steps and leaving maids behind.

I eyed the extravagant purple silks that flowed around her as she rushed across the stone courtyard and hugged my waist abruptly. My body flashed hot at the embarrassment. The low growl behind me was certainly not a thunder storm but it would quickly turn to one.

I set her back carefully and cleared my throat gesturing behind me.

"I formally present you with my buffoons, John–" the man himself stepped forward with a grand bow and a flourishing wink. "–Kaden–" The mountain dropped to a knee with a grin and kissed her hand, a Uccellon custom, "–the boy is Yanu–" who proceeded to disregard formality and hid behind Kaden. "–and you've already met Kára." I finished awkwardly.