She was silent for a long while, just staring straight into his eyes. Her black irises were so beautiful, he thought to himself as he stared back.

"Did I really swing my leg over you like that?" she asked abruptly.

"Yeah. Yeah, you did. It stung so bad; you have no clue."

"Why didn't you say? I would've—"

"I wasn't about to compromise you snuggled close in my arms for the sake of my paining penis."

"Zac." She swatted him. "You should've told me. I would've changed my position and still cuddled with you. I know you are my cuddle-bear; you hate it when I don't cuddle with you. I know it."

"Nope. I was rather liking that situation. I was quite literally covered in you. Exactly the way I'd always want to be."

She let out something between a cry and a laugh. "Come on, now, you nuthead, let's go."

He obediently stepped behind, said, "Yes, ma'am," and took her hand in his, intertwining their fingers, clutching it tightly in his and pulled her even closer against him.

She chuckled to herself at that small action. Such a caveman he was, she thought, wanting the world to know that she was his.

—x—

"What!" This would be the first time Savannah got to see the otherwise poised Clair get excited. "Oh, my Lord. We're gonna have a wedding in the house! Honey, did you hear that? Our son proposed to Savannah, and she said yes. They're engaged now. Oh my," she gasped with her hands cupped around her mouth, before tears made their way down.

"Aw, mom," Zac chuckled as he gathered his mom into his arms. "Stop the waterworks, come on."

"Zac, today you've made the happiest mom. Isn't that true, Gerald?"

"Absolutely. Now I get to have grandbabies. At least five, I'm telling ya guys," he declared.

Zac rolled his eyes and shook his head, while everyone had a front-row seat to seeing Savannah eyes widen to saucers. So wide that Gerald couldn't help but hug her.

"I was just kidding, lass." He felt her visibly relax in his arms, so he cheekily added, "Four would also do."

Suddenly, Clair was on her toes, totally focused.

"Okay. We're gonna have a small engagement party this weekend. Just close relatives and friends. Got me?"

"Do we need it?" Zac asked.

"Oh yes, we do. My firstborn is engaged, about to be married, of course, we do. Honey, just help me set it all up, will you? Gerald, you know any good caterers around here, don't you?"

Savannah felt betrayed. She was the chef, right here. "I could make the—"

"No, absolutely not. The party is organized for you, and you're talking about being holed up in the kitchen all day? Nothing doing. You and Zac are only going to enjoy yourselves, mingle around with friends and family a little."

"Well, maybe can I help then? With the other things?"

"No. Zac, are you both taking your room here?"

"Uh-oh. No way. She doesn't let me have sex with her here, says it's awkward with you both in the same house. Nope, we're heading to our apartment. I have plans for her."

Gerald pulled into his famous bear-hugs. "Shouldn't do that, lass. My wife and I are still going strong because of ample sex." Pressing a fatherly kiss to her forehead that had her choking up, he moved away for Clair who gathered Savannah into her warm, motherly embrace. "Thank you for giving my son a chance. Welcome to the family, Savannah," she said softly and proceeded to their room with her husband.